Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

For those of you that use huggers for your tarp...

For those of you that use huggers for your tarp, what method do you use to secure the tarp line to the webbing? Just a MSH? Some other kind of knot? Anyone crazy enough to use Dutch Clips on their tarp huggers? XD

I like the idea both for the sake of the trees and for the sake of being able to show any inquiring rangers that I'm doing everything I can to be as tree-friendly as possible. Just wondering how to go about it.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    I don't personally do it, but I have seen someone that used tree straps made from grossgrain that attached directly to the tarp with double plastic "D" buckles.
    Easy to adjust and light. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Last edited by Bad Biscuit; 09-27-2012 at 16:15. Reason: oops. I missed something.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I used tree huggers once on my tarp with just a marlin spike hitch. I decided it was a waste of time for me and the tree. A tarp doesn't exert much force at all on a tree, in my opinion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

1" straps

I'm kicking this around too. Here in FL there's a pilot program running to allow us to hang in the state parks (currently prohibited). One of the requirements is the use of tree straps with the tarp as well as the hammock. I could simply attach my tarp ridgeline to the hammock straps but that would result in a really high hang for the tarp (fine for summer porch mode).

My alternative is to recycle some of the old 1" straps I've used previously with a few of my rigs. Even though it's far from ideal I'll most likely just use the sewn loops in the huggers.

I'll attach the ridgeline to one end with an S-biner and the other I use a tarp key to form a hitch type setup to tension the line. It's far from the most eloquent solution but will work just fine. There might be some wear on the straps but for just a night or two here and there it should last indefinitely.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    In Florida (per Zuki's comments about the pilot program) I just use another set of straps and a soft shackle.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I dig the grossgrain idea... that stuff is LIGHT and incredibly... un-bulky. Do you know if a MSH was used in the grossgrain to connect the two?

My issue with a MSH is that I'd imagine that once you start cranking the tension into the line (Dutch Flyz), it'd dig down into the grossgrain or webbing or what have you at the knot, maybe even bury down into the knot, and cause issues that way.

If anyone who's used webbing or any other kind of hugger for a tarp has any pictures, I'd be very happy to see 'em. ^.^

Thanks, y'all, for your responses.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Wit
    Tarp
    Squidbilly 1000
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    adj web, whoopies
    Images
    The one I saw just used grosgrain with a loop like a normal tree strap. He looped the "strap" around the tree, through the loop, and then ran it through and back the plastic D rings then secured with a slippery half hitch. It was a lot like people use with descender rings. I may go that route myself...

Sadly, I don't have any pictures to show more detail of what I'm referring to - he just showed me on his tarp when i had a question.
    "There's not much of a learning curve with a tent. Lay on the ground and suffer; repeat as often as necessary." - Silvrsurfr

http://jnunniv.wordpress.com

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I would think that if you need to use huggers for your tarp, then why no attach to your hammock's huggers at the tree, instead of half way between the tree and the hammock?

Would prevent the tarp sagging when you plop your rear into the hammock. And if you're using a biner or Dutch clip you could hook directly to that particular peice of hardware.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I would think that if you need to use huggers for your tarp, then why no attach to your hammock's huggers at the tree, instead of half way between the tree and the hammock?

Would prevent the tarp sagging when you plop your rear into the hammock. And if you're using a biner or Dutch clip you could hook directly to that particular peice of hardware.
    Because, like zukiguy mentioned, that results in a pretty high tarp, which is fine for summer use or when not expecting heavy or any precipitation or wind, but not so much when you need to hunker down. But otherwise, yes, it's a good solution. However, attaching to the clips, I would think, would be completely useless, wouldn't it? Wouldn't it just pull the clips towards each other until the tarp was entirely limp? o.O Or am I missing something?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Now that I'm getting to thinking, maybe just using a few trail sticks placed vertically against the tree, under the line, would be fine. Been talked about with the actual hammock suspension, can't see why it wouldn't work with a tarp line as well. Kind of a pain, but perhaps less so than getting asked by a ranger to take the tarp down, which would of course result in a total relocation, lol.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast