Whoopie-chain and klemheist

ok so I'm really new to this, and I got to thinking- Can I chain whoopies together off a tree to get my desired length, such as if two trees were 20 or so feet apart? Whoopie the tree, then whoopie the whoopie with another cord, then attach my hammock (Equip, btw), or keep going as neccesary? Furthermore, I'm fairly conscientious of tree damage, and state/ federal parks where I would be car camping would frown upon destruction/ deformation of trees. Could I then use a Klemheist knot on the tree to avoid damage caused by the narrow pressure point caused by just plain whoopie-ing(?) the tree? Thanks

P.S. I know I suffer from spelling/ grammar errors. Sorry!

EDIT: also, can this be done with 1/8" amsteel? For texture reasons, not strength reasons.
    Last edited by Liberator8nine10; 09-10-2012 at 19:25. Reason: Forgotten inquiry.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Please pardon me for dissecting your idea...I find this to be the best way for me to think through something. No offense...
    The Klemheist knot is a good suggestion, but I think you still have a lot of tension on several small diameter ropes around the tree. Additionally, that is going to take a fair amount of extra rope (when I hang, it is sometimes from trees 20"+ diameter). Why not just carry some straps? This question is better answered by some of our arborist members on the site.
    And the two whoopie idea is a good one, but how are you going to link the whoopies together? I guess you could do a larkshead between the two, but I imagine this will make it difficult to adjust one of the whoopies. I think I would prefer a whoopie with a long adjustable loop. Your bury and fixed brummel is what will ultimately determine your minimum length, and your maximum is however long you make your adjustable loop.
    For myself, I use the whoopies with a marlinspike hitch on straps. Each strap is 15 feet and each whoopie is a maximum of 6 feet. So, with my hammock (HH Explorer UL) and my suspension, I have hung from trees 30+ feet apart with no problem.
    HOWEVER...I am a newbie to the hammock stuff (started making and hanging this summer). I can say with confidence that there are a lot of people on this site with much more experience and wisdom than me regarding hammocks. Just thought I would throw my $.02 at you. :-)
    HYOH

Well like I said, I am new, and I probably will get some tree huggers. And its no problem, anything helps. Problem is, I haven't read through everything on the site yet, and as soon as I posted this, I read up on the Single Line Suspension thread ( http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719 ) and discovered that little piece of gold. So I'm gonna try to ingest more info before I ask anymore questions. So far I have learned amsteel and goose down are worth their weight in gold, and spreader bars may very well be pure evil

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Yes, its hard to recommend anything other than straps for the tree. The amount of cordage it would take to make two proper klemheists on reasonably sized trees and suddenly the straps look even better. And I think the more common problem with whoopies is with them not being able to get short enough. I'm not a whoopie user but this seems to be the common concern among them. Other than that, I don't see why you couldn't chain a few whoopies together if the situation called for it.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    Great ideas...I hope you don't think I was discouraging you. The way I answered is just the way I think through a problem. Keep up the thought process. Glad to have you on the forum and welcome to the fun of hammocking and DIYing!

• + New Posts