Bivvy bag in net hammock

I have never hammocked and am considering what to use for my next cycle tour, probably mostly in Europe. I expect rain sometimes and minimal insect problems.

I get the impression most people use fabric hammocks with a tarp over for rain protection. I will be taking a bivvy bag anyway so I thought why not put that in a net hammock. Net because it will not collect water inside and because I think they are lighter. This would make setup faster because there is no tarp, although one could be added for greater comfort. This setup would also be cheap - net hammocks seem to be the cheapest. A separate bug net could probably be used with some fiddling if required.

Has anyone tried this? Is there some reason why this is a bad idea and I should buy a hammock made of some sheet of material instead?

Thanks.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    You will still need to figure out your insulation. If you're planning on using a pad with your bivy and sleeping bag, that might work but I don't think it will be very comfortable.

S

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anm View Post
    I have never hammocked and am considering what to use for my next cycle tour, probably mostly in Europe. I expect rain sometimes and minimal insect problems.

I get the impression most people use fabric hammocks with a tarp over for rain protection. I will be taking a bivvy bag anyway so I thought why not put that in a net hammock. Net because it will not collect water inside and because I think they are lighter. This would make setup faster because there is no tarp, although one could be added for greater comfort. This setup would also be cheap - net hammocks seem to be the cheapest. A separate bug net could probably be used with some fiddling if required.

Has anyone tried this? Is there some reason why this is a bad idea and I should buy a hammock made of some sheet of material instead?

Thanks.
    I wouldn't assume a net hammock is lighter. Do you have any evidence to confirm your assumption?

After an all-night rain soaks into that net hammock, it's going to weigh a lot. While I know people who use a bivy in their hammock, it's for warmth and not in lieu of a tarp.

I really don't understand your point about net hammocks will not collect water inside. Are you under the impression that cloth hammocks would have this problem? Not with a tarp.

I also wouldn't assume a net hammock is cheaper.

Your idea might be an improvement over bivvy camping (at least you're off the ground), but it still doesn't sound very comfortable. You will not be able to use an underquilt because there is no tarp to keep it dry. Your only choice would be a pad inside the bivvy.

Expect to do some thrashing around with that pad trying to get a good lay.

• + New Posts