ENO double nest
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    jarbridge
    Suspension
    whoopies

Under quilt protection?

Newbie here, just wondering how necessary an under quilt protector is, for a example the 2QZQ? I just got the jarbridge from Arrowhead, it's synthetic. Also I now have a decent size tarp, the toxaway, between the two would I be fine without a UQP?

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    In my opinion you dont need one as long as when it starts to rain you pitch your tarp low to the ground if you have doors or beaks even better .
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is rapture on the lonely shore, There is society where none intrudes , By the deep sea, and music in its roar, I love not man the less, but nature more. Lord Byron

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Having plenty of tarp above me, the purpose of an UQP for me is to stop the wind from robbing heat off my UQ. Hanging high under a large tarp also goes a long way in doing the same thing. A lot depends on staying out of the wind. Next time you are out in cool weather, hang your legs out of the hammock and feel the difference in cooling effect above and below the tarp. That is what will suck the heat off your butt. So if your butt is hanging lower then your tarp you may experience CBS

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    toxaway
    Insulation
    jarbridge
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks! Basically it sounds like UQ vs pads. It's not 100% needed but definitely good to have.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderingwayfarer View Post
    Thanks! Basically it sounds like UQ vs pads. It's not 100% needed but definitely good to have.
    ...and at 2QZQ's low price, and silnylon's weight and compactability, you can't go wrong.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Oms point it not to be taken lightly. The UQP can make a big difference when the tide turns (when it gets a lot colder then you were expecing). Poof used on at the Florida hang and sang its praises. A lot can be said of the Bear Burrito Oven for the same reasons.
    One more positive of the UDQ (and ZQ/TQ's is top top notch) is that often the underquilt falls to the ground; the UDQ is just an insurance policy on an expensive piece of gear when that happens.
    Note that the one ZQ/TQ put out is adjustable on each side to dial it in for a perfect fit

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I'm sure there are people who actually us an UQP to protect their UQ. For me the term UQP is a bit of a misnomer. I have never used mine as such. As it's been said wind protection and warmth are its primary uses. It also helps catch things that fall out of my hammock and stop them from landing on the ground.

I had 2QZQ make mine large so it comes up and over meeting at the ridgeline like a sock.

S

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've found my down UQ gets damp after a long day of rain. As we all know, wet down loses it's ability to insulate, so having it be damp will mean being slightly less warm during the night. I'm too cheap for a UQ Protector, so what I do now is take down my UQ and put it in the stuff sack if it's going to rain that day. Then I just put it back on before bed.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by psilokan View Post
    I've found my down UQ gets damp after a long day of rain. As we all know, wet down loses it's ability to insulate, so having it be damp will mean being slightly less warm during the night. I'm too cheap for a UQ Protector, so what I do now is take down my UQ and put it in the stuff sack if it's going to rain that day. Then I just put it back on before bed.
    I've only just started experimenting, but this seemed to be the best practice that I could imagine. I'd plan on using my hammock as a day chair, etc. Therefore, I would stow my UQ except when in use.

Speaking of the 2qzq, would that work with a supershelter-like system?

• + New Posts