Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    This thread says it's about 22 oz. without poles.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...gear+emergency

As I understand it, the Guide Gear Emergency Shelter is 190T Polyester, which I would trust a helluva lot more than the two Guide Gear 12 x 12 190T Nylon tarps I own (2012 edition). I haven't seen any negative reviews of the Emergency Shelter.

I'd gladly sell you my one of my GG 12 x 12s, except I couldn't have it on my conscience that I sold an item in which I have zero faith to a fellow forum member.

I've got one all tricked out with DIY snake skins, 1.75 mm Zing-It ridgeline with Dutch Hook, Dutch Tarp Flyz, and DIY soft shackle prusiks for centering the tarp on the ridgeline. It's like lipstick on a pig, if you ask me. I can't figure out how to hang the tarp and stay dry.
    the large size would help if I use it for 2 hammocks. My son would love to hang instead on sleeping in a tent. I just hope the hammock can contain him. I usually feel like I need padding sleeping next to him in the tent.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    good to know, guess you could brake it down and use the parts on something else. Make the tarp into a kite?
    The titanium Dutchware is worth its weight in, um, er, titanium. I can always use the ridgeline on another tarp. Right now I use the 12 x 12s as group shelter/common area for cooking. It's fine for that - I just wouldn't recommend sleeping under it.

Mind you, there are many folks happy with the 2012 Guide Gear 12 x 12 - I'm not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by miyanc View Post
    how does this compare to the bias combo for 15 more?
    the bias kit comes with a 9 foot ridgeline - the arrowhead model doesn't.
    both are roughly the same size, the arrowhead will weigh a bit more but is rated to 400 pounds, the bias to 300. both come with whoopies, toggles, & tree straps.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I'm going to move this to General, since it's not a focused WTB thread.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1066vik View Post
    the bias kit comes with a 9 foot ridgeline - the arrowhead model doesn't.
    both are roughly the same size, the arrowhead will weigh a bit more but is rated to 400 pounds, the bias to 300. both come with whoopies, toggles, & tree straps.
    thanks I am probably going bias for now.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit

GG Emergency Shelter

I think SilvrSurfr answered correctly about the seams. I believe I weighed it at 24-25 oz. without the poles and stakes, but that did include the guy lines. If someone else says 22 oz., I would find that plausible.

It's a big tarp that would be fine for a triangle hang (have no idea what to call it...) like when my wife or one of the kids and I share a tree for our heads and hang the foot end of the hammock from different trees. I am sure dejoha has a nifty name for it ... his book makes mention of this method...

Approach it with realistic expectations if buying it. it's a really big, cat cut tarp made of a coated polyester which means it doesn't stretch when it's wet like nylon does... all this is very nice. But it's $40. Seam seal it, ignore any tiny thread blemishes and use it for a season or two and upgrade later if it's not what you want. It's not a high end tarp, but all in all I like it. I am taking mine with me next week to the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri for my primary tarp. I'm in a kayak, so light, not ultralight, is the goal. I thought about taking my ultralight Equinox, but methinks I'll opt for more coverage.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    20 bucks got me my 90 by 156 taffeta tablecloth from amazon which supports all270 lbs of me and go sew yourself some rips top from Johanna's fabrics for 40 bucks or be happy you got a good cheap hammock and be good to yourself and by an old man winter from wilderness logics and never regret it when you and your son can hang under the same tarp which prolly averages out to 60 bucks a head in coverage. That tarp is worth every dollar to me especially with 3 tie outs on each side and a pull out or two it's like a tarp mansion that keeps you warm.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    The cheapest cottage tarp I know of is the MacCat Micro at $65.

Cottage hammock for $35... don't know if it exists...

You can accomplish this if you go one item cottage, one item not, but I don't think you can get both for under $100. I may be wrong though...
    Smallest MacCat really can be bought Standard, those Micro Brian seems does not make anymore.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Just ordered the Camper Kit from BIAS. I guess I can try and buy that Guide Gear tarp I also got an offer for someone to make me one. They offered to make both hammock and tarp, but I had already purchased BIAS and feel that is a solid option. I wish I had the money to do the knotty mod, but at least I got the hammock and maybe I will mod it myself.
    I am on my way. Now if I can get away next weekend to the group hang in Hot Springs.

Hammock
    DH Raven/SLD Trail lair
    Tarp
    UGQ WD/SLD Asym
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DutchBuckle &Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    For about $13 you can get a tablecloth and become your own cottage, only takes 5 min to whip the ends and presto instant hammock.

I just got three of these in the mail today and when I purchased them I got both 10% off and free shipping so it was about $35 for three hammocks.
    Now don't i feel cheaped.

I just ordered 2 today and had to pay 6.95 shipping.....i wonder if 3 would have been the magic number, for 7 bucks shipping i would gone for 3rd had it been free shipping.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast