Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need advice. Which to buy?

Hey guys, I have been reading to forums a bit over the last week and am trying to figure out which hammock to buy. I have been tent camping for the last few years and purchased a eno singlenest with slap straps. Decided to try it out for a night, and needless to say, I will not be going back to sleeping on the ground! No more sore back. The hammocks I have looked at are the WBBB, HH explorer, and Wilderness logics lite owl. My concern with the WB or the HH is using it when car camping with our big 6 person tent and it still having the bug net. Is it easy to keep the netting out of the way when using it just for lounging? This is why the lite owl made my final three. The HH appeals because I can get it from REI, and its ready to go, but im not a fan of the suspension system. The WB looks the best to me and I love to adjustable webbing suspesion, but it is on the higher end of my budget.
    I am not on a huge budget, but I would like to keep it on the cheaper side ($250 max). I camp about 8 times a year, nothing in the middle of winter. I intend on using the hammock primarily for camping in, but it would be nice to use it for lounging as well. What do you think my best option is? Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I love my WBBB and yes find it very easy to move the netting out of the way throwing it over the RL to lounge in. However have you looked at the Danger Bird from Papa Smurf. You can un zip the netting on three sides and stow the netting away in a peak bag.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    The easiest item to DIY w/o goofing it up is the hammock. Then go buy some cinch buckles and straps from war bonnet or arrowhead equip. if that is your preferred suspension. DONE!

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Light owl. It just seems more for less weight. I also made my own netting. Being able to take it off prevents me from accidentally tearing it off.

At the moment I would say I am leaning more towards the BB and getting a HH rainfly from REI(little cheaper, and member dividend). Never heard of the danger bird, but will check them out. What about the WB bridge hammock? Would that be a lot better than the BB?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TDI793 View Post
    At the moment I would say I am leaning more towards the BB and getting a HH rainfly from REI(little cheaper, and member dividend). Never heard of the danger bird, but will check them out. What about the WB bridge hammock? Would that be a lot better than the BB?

Linked Below, I have not slept in the Danger Bird but have had a chance to lay in them and they are comfy. However I have slept in the WBBB many of nights and its an amazingly comfy hammock. You can lounge in both hammocks easily however with the Danger Bird you can detach the but net on both sides, roll it up and stow it away. It's a tough decision one I am glad I do not have to make You cant really go wrong with either one.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/index.html
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I have a BBird and a L.Owl. Just got the L.Owl. a while ago and am liking it very much. It has become my go to hammock. Don't be afraid of the L.Owl. whoopie slings. If your going to do allot of lounging i would get the L.O. and add a bugnet over the winter either DIY or buy one. If your anything like most the folks here you'll end up with a couple of hammocks.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I like the Grand Trunk I bought cheap but wish that I had seen this earlier, a chart of the various hammock makers: http://www.hammockforums.net/article...cturerlist.htm.

You'll pay more for American-made or cottage but there are some great guys here that do wonderful work. Please, consider their products.

Mike

Hammock
    BIAS Camper; WL Sniper; DIY channel
    Tarp
    tarpless
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt
    Suspension
    you name it
    I was in the same boat just a week ago. I've since made my own single layer, channel end out of Joanne Fabrics ripstop, and I've purchased the WL Snipe and BIAS Camper. I wanted to see for myself what the differences were.

Honestly, I can't see a big difference in either of the three. They all feel the about the same to me.

I used strapping on my DIY and whoopie slings on the other two and actually prefer the whoopie slings even though I didn't think I'd like them. The rings and webbing were fine though. I'd buy from either vendor as it was nice calling and talking to an actual person that didn't mind answering my questions.

Just pulled the trigger on a BB double 1.1 and stuff sack. Very excited about my purchase, and cant wait to test it out! I figured I would go ahead and spend a little more for a proven quantity and hopefully spend less money down the road. Now I just need to find a quality, descently priced tarp. Thanks for all the advice!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast