Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    For a wet day I have my tarp in mesh skins, just pull them up and the tarp goes in the mesh outer pocket of my pack like always and the hammock goes into the bag liner. Lets some (but not much) of the water leave the tarp and lets the rest stay dry. Tarp, stakes, and straps if using my whoopie suspension (I've made a webbing one that I'm twicking still) are all outside the pack, lets me set up tarp without removing any waterproof protection from the rest of the pack contents.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    For a wet day I have my tarp in mesh skins, just pull them up and the tarp goes in the mesh outer pocket of my pack like always and the hammock goes into the bag liner. Lets some (but not much) of the water leave the tarp and lets the rest stay dry. Tarp, stakes, and straps if using my whoopie suspension (I've made a webbing one that I'm twicking still) are all outside the pack, lets me set up tarp without removing any waterproof protection from the rest of the pack contents.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm still digesting the finer details of this setup, so this may already be the case.
    If you make the hammock removable (using biners, soft shackle or whoopie hook, etc) you could detach it for storage and set up the tarp first. This solves the problem of setting up in the rain. The tarp portion would have all the suspension, including the hammock suspension which wouuld dangle from the cinch buckles until you clipped in the hammock.

Mule, I'm liking this idea more and more. You never have to worry about your tarp being centered over the hammock!
    Now that's something to think about. Thanks

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Now that I think about it, you wouldn't have to set up your hammock first at all....Because your using soft shackles you can set up the tarp off the same suspension webbing then toss the hammock up afterwards. Why not?
    lol..

Only draw back I still see is the tarp adjust-ability. Doesn't look like you can adjust its height but I guess that is fairly minor. You either need it or you don't. Make some mesh snake skins for the tarp.

The other issue I am concerned about is being able to adjust the tension of the tarp. When you sit in the hammock does the tarp go taut or slack?

Originaly, when I bought my HH, was working on doing something similar to this as I was modifying my HH suspension but decided to go a different route and remove the RainFly completely.

After seeing your suspension system work, I may go back to my original idea but use it on my DIY hammock that I am currently building.
    My original plan was to put Descender Rings on the hammock suspension but mount them further out, to line up using biners. It would meet up with the HH-Tarp O-rings with alittle extra length so that I could adjust tarp tension with some Doubled-over Shock Cord paired up with Utility line. The problem with all this was I was having to use 4 Biners and this added quite a bit of weight to the suspension so I dropped it. But I could drop the Rings and go with Elephant Trunks or maybe use Figure 9 Biners for the tarp. Not sure yet but it would be nice to get away from setting a tarp suspension for a change.

Edit: Oh yeah, I remember another reason why I dropped the idea. It was because every time the wind blew, even subtle winds, you could feel the tarp tugging on the suspension of the hammock which kind of felt awkward. Hmmm..Maybe I will give it another try sometime and see if I can get used to the tarp tugging at the suspension.
    To answer your question, no the tarp does not loosen up, rather it tightens up just like your hammock RL does. It's held onto the cinch buckles by bungee for some tension.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    I was in Brown Hollow this weekend and the system worked better than I expected. I could walk under the tarp like before and the ridgeline of the tarp was straighter that ever. I actually took a lot of video but it got an error as I tried t0 import it.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Green Hornet XL
    Tarp
    EliteEvolution3x3m
    Insulation
    CorinthiaDefence 4
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopies
    Fantastic idea, makes it all so simple to set up,

I presume you regularly check for wear and tear of all permanent attachments, we all get complacent with "out of sight out of mind" senarios,

Good health and many great hangs, Jeff

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Fantastic idea, makes it all so simple to set up,

I presume you regularly check for wear and tear of all permanent attachments, we all get complacent with "out of sight out of mind" senarios,

Good health and many great hangs, Jeff
    Yes, I actually take my tarp off when I set up and tear down but it is only a biner on each side. Really easy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345