HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    ... well on the upside if you have to have it done you can change your trail name to "The Bionic Gringo"

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My hips locked up a couple of years ago - painful all the time with clicking and popping noises. Much as I hate doctors, I finally went, expecting to find out I had arthritis and needed hip replacement.

As I'm telling the doctor of the horrible pain and the history, he's ignoring me, manipulating my legs and hips. "Look at how stiff you are," he says. "You're as limber as a block of concrete. Go home and do some stretching exercises, or some yoga. Come back and see me in a week."

I never went back to see the smart *** doctor - he was right. The pain went away in about four hours and never came back. The thing about people who don't stretch is that you get more and more tight, painfully, dysfunctionally tight. My shoulders and knees were also giving me problems and stretching/yoga worked for that too, along with a weightlifting regimen - no more pain.

I would definitely try every non-surgical option possible before going under the knife.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Dave, have you tried any alternative medicine, like acupressure/acupuncture or something like that? You never know--it works for some people! I always figure its best to keep the origional equiptment as long as possible!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

I know a woman who is 68 and has had both knees replaced. She still backpacks but is slow. Not so sure that is because of the new knees though
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    9 years ago I broke my hip in a bouldering accident. Falling is pain free, stopping isn't... Since I was 42 at the time, the orthopedic surgeon did a very risky pinned reduction of my right femur instead of a hip replacement. I was non weighting bearing for 3 months. A huge hassle. No driving, no walking, no no no fun. With a hip replacement,I believe they have you back on your feet for therapy right away. The first three weeks I had to sleep on my back which I had never done before. I would have loved being cradled on my back in a gathered end hammock. As others have pointed out the biggest limits after surgery are those you set for yourself. The only things I was discouraged from doing were running and gaining a lot of weight. After relearning to walk I struggled with back pain. After much coercion by a lady friend I went to see her chiropractorette. After one adjustment I have been good to go ever since. The chiropractorette also happened to be in her late 40's and sporting a hip replacement. She is still an avid skier, climber, and mountaineer. I have been able to climb and bicycle as much as I want. Generally I don't even think about the three screws that held the ball of my femur on while it healed.

I think you are on the right track going to see an orthopedic surgeon. Increasing your flexibility is also always a great thing. The chiropractorette was a big proponent of stretching and yoga. I wasn't a very good student once I became pain free...

Best of luck with becoming pain free again. Don't be afraid of surgery if that is what is recommended.

Andy
    Friends don't let friends sleep on the ground.

My favorite data mining thread:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55659

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    People I know with hip replacements have some restrictions on getting their knees higher than their hips and squatting. Post replacement might change the way you get into a hammock or you may have to hang it higher than you did before surgery.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

stretching

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    ...The thing about people who don't stretch is that you get more and more tight, painfully, dysfunctionally tight...
    I think this was my issue as well.

I only have the replaced knee, which is great. I have friends who have the hip replacement, and every one says "I wish I had done it sooner". Every one is different as we know, but it looks like a deal worth checking out. I know I would even at my tender age of 71.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My hips locked up a couple of years ago - painful all the time with clicking and popping noises. Much as I hate doctors, I finally went, expecting to find out I had arthritis and needed hip replacement.

As I'm telling the doctor of the horrible pain and the history, he's ignoring me, manipulating my legs and hips. "Look at how stiff you are," he says. "You're as limber as a block of concrete. Go home and do some stretching exercises, or some yoga. Come back and see me in a week."

I never went back to see the smart *** doctor - he was right. The pain went away in about four hours and never came back. The thing about people who don't stretch is that you get more and more tight, painfully, dysfunctionally tight. My shoulders and knees were also giving me problems and stretching/yoga worked for that too, along with a weightlifting regimen - no more pain.

I would definitely try every non-surgical option possible before going under the knife.
    This is all very good advice. OG, I know you're not sedentary but there are definite advantages to certain types of stretches and exercise. Believe it or not diet and herbal remedies can help too.

Also, like Stevebo says, I'd exhaust all alt med ideas before surgery.

When it gets to the point where you can't stand it, that's when you get the surgery, IMHO.

But you didn't ask that. I have my original equipment hips so I can't say much.

Except good luck, man.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Good post as far as info goes.
    My uncle had both hips done. He sat in a wheelchair to get around for a few months. Now he's up and around and doing fine! He did say the pain was intense, but worth it overall.

Sorry to hear about your hips OG. Get well soon.

I second the yoga/stretching. Do some searching for stretches for the hips. Youtube has a few.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast