Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear

Hips, Hammocks, and Surgery

I'm at a point where my choices are drugs, hip replacement, or sitting around doing nothing (not!). Help me make the best decision.

My question: how do after-market joints fare with hammocks? Any issues I need to consider? Any of you folks still hiking with replacement parts? Kayaking?

Thanks for your input.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    What's your age? Do they know exactly what it is causing your pain? I had hip pain, but they couldn't isolate it. I quit playing competitive soccer and tennis for a year and then started back slowly. Haven't had an issue since. Just offering this since you mentioned sitting around doing nothing was an option, if not a preferred one.

I am 52 and have 2 new hips (2 years ago). I was in such pain before the surgery that I wouldn't even consider camping etc. because of the movement restrictions and discomfort caused by bending etc. Hiking was out of the question. Now, I feel great and have a renewed sense of wanting to get back to the woods - something I have not done for the last 15 years. I bought a hammock, joined this forum (and another outdoors forum also) and am ready for adventure. My hips feel about 99% most of the time and 100% some of the time. So, I am really glad I went through with the surgery. As far as how it feels to sleep in a hammock...that will be coming up this fall. My plans are to try and get out a couple of weekends a month after the weather cools a bit and the buggies go away. My 2 cents.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    My boyfriend, who's 53, had a hip replacement and has absolutely no issues sleeping in a hammock, in fact, he says it feels better. We paddle, hike, camp etc., all the time with no issues at all, save for a sore back once in a while (which all of us equiped with our natural hips experience at some point).
    Based on his experience, go for it! You won't be disappointed!
    Debi

I should add that this summer I went deep sea fishing (slept 2 nights in a bunk at sea) did a float trip on a Missouri stream, and kayaked in the Florida Everglades --- all with no problems. Miracle of modern medicine!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If you decide on surgery and $$ is an issue think about thailand ur india .Top rated surgical teams for a third the price.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Tablecloth DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo UQ- 32F
    Suspension
    m'spike hitch, web

Hip replacement hanging

Gringo, know how you feel. I am 54 with two hip replacements, one on each side. If you can bring yourself to do it, get the hip replacements. They'll change your life if you work the rehab hard without overdoing it.

With rehab and walking each day, I can now do a 15 mile all-day hike.
    Also had type II diabetes, the hiking and the hanging have cured the diabetes and I have no pain in my hips.

Best of luck to you
    -Metalhanger
    --he who knows the great enthusiasms.
    -T. Roosevelt

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    Moss Parawing
    Insulation
    REI Sub-Kilo
    Suspension
    webbing 'n 'biners
    I'm 31 and have now had my "new bits" for 9 years. My shoulder seemingly has more titanium in it than my backpacking stove, and my lower back has quite the assortment of "aftermarket parts". I still do nearly everything as I did before except for motorcross.(Wife's request) The biggest changes weren't so much the activities themselves, but how I go about them.

Gone are the 2 large portage bag + Canoe carries at BWCA portages, those are now three separate trips.

I still hike 10-12 miles in a day no issue, just a lot more conscious of what my pack weighs and how exactly the weight is distributed. (Think ounce counter more than gram weenie)

I didn't camp comfortably for 4 years after my surgery b/c I could NOT get comfortable sleeping on the ground, then a friend introduced me to a hammock. I haven't looked back since. (Seeing as you're already equipped to hang. . . you're ahead of the curve.)

Point being is your life after the surgery is what you make of it. You can sit around and remind yourself that your doctor advised against kayaking backpacking, ect, or you can be determined enough to find a way to still do what you love, I chose the latter and couldn't have been happier.

(Not a picture of me but one I snapped while waiting on a ride back up river. )
    “Rivets are the new duct tape.”

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    What's your age? Do they know exactly what it is causing your pain? I had hip pain, but they couldn't isolate it. I quit playing competitive soccer and tennis for a year and then started back slowly. Haven't had an issue since. Just offering this since you mentioned sitting around doing nothing was an option, if not a preferred one.
    I'm 65, and so far, have only been told, "arthritis". Gonna go to an orthopedic doc soon, and get the straight scoop, but it's not hard to see the writing on the wall.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Gotta wonder just how many here got interested in hammocks due to infirmities. Mine was dual knee replacement. Can't be worse than ground dwelling and in my case the hammock turned out to be good on many other levels (like back etc).

I've heard that the surgery can be tough OG...when doing my face to face with folks who had knee replacements all said it was the best thing they had ever done. None said anything about the pain and brother my first one hurt like sin for a long time. So be sure you have exhausted all other options in case it does not go so smooth.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast