WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Spindrift Sock thoughts

Thanks very much everyone. Going to give it a shot this coming weekend. I am thinking that I will leave the sock on until mid-summer, then remove it (@ home) and reinstall for the fall. I don't have quilts yet, so I am going with a pad and either my sleeping bag or a "mantle" I have from an old Black Ice winter bag as a top quilt.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Zpacks CF, WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/ WBB 0 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide WS
    Images
    I have the old style 1 door WB Ridge runner sock.
    Dynaglide dog bones fit through the groms much easier than the stock WB dog Dynema dog bones.
    The 1 door model is very prone to condensation. I was in a swampy area on a Scout trip just last weekend in 40 degree weather. No rain. My CF tarp was moist underneath, which in an anomaly, and the sock was wet on the inside. In retrospect I should have vented the door at it's apex. Brandon has obviously worked out this issue and the double door will likely help vent.

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    6B599585-954F-4A4F-AB26-9EDF0CA4D4CD.jpg
    Hey everyone, thought this would be a good addition to the thread. A recent trip to the mountains, here are 2 Ridgerunners inside of their Sprindrifts. Left is the green newer version, poles outside. Right is the brown older version, poles inside. Both are awesome, wouldn’t own a Ridgerunner without them.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I used the Spindrift with my RR this past season. I must admit I was a bit anxious about putting it on for the first time in the early spring and taking it off for the first time in the late spring. I had Brandon's video on my phone and used it to guide me through the process. I found that the large table on my deck is a good location for doing the work and I didn't have any problem getting the suspension through the grommets. When I did it again for the late fall season, I was able to do it without any assistance. I used it backpacking in the Adirondacks and like others, found that it added both warm and basically eliminated any problems with wind, especially when used together with my tarp. Mine has the two doors, both of which I keep slightly opened at the top for ventilation. Like someone else said, I see it as a seasonal item. I am really happy with it and glad that I have it as part of my system. Last year I used a Klymit insulated pad with the sock; this year I will have an underquilt and I looking forward to seeing how it works with the sock.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Nice to hear, JBlaser. The suspension can be a challenge to take apart and re-assemble. I’ve moved on to using the Dutch “Beetle Buckles” with all of my hammocks. They allow almost instant setup, pushing the Ridgerunner’s dog bones though the Sprindrift’s holes and reattaching. Something to look into. Happy that you find the Spindrift so useful. You’ll love it with the underquilt even more

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WayHigh View Post
    Nice to hear, JBlaser. The suspension can be a challenge to take apart and re-assemble. I’ve moved on to using the Dutch “Beetle Buckles” with all of my hammocks. They allow almost instant setup, pushing the Ridgerunner’s dog bones though the Sprindrift’s holes and reattaching. Something to look into. Happy that you find the Spindrift so useful. You’ll love it with the underquilt even more
    Thanks very much WayHigh. I will look into the Beetle Buckles. I'm always interested in refinements to the system. Happy Hanging!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thank you, you as well. I will get a photo here tomorrow of the Beetle Buckles / webbing just as the Ridgerunner’s dog bones are about to attach to them...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Ok JBlaser and fellows,
    A6CE4800-5046-4FDE-A8B1-33DB58D96AE5.jpg
    1st photo is the Ridgerunner’s dyneema dog bones sitting next to the Dutch titanium Beetle Buckles.
    599ACEB7-E5C6-4843-9D14-6CB3D47235B9.jpg
    2nd photo shows the dog bones attached to the Beetle Buckle....it takes literally 5-10 seconds.
    All of this would be on the outside of the Spindrift, after installing it. This is the re-attachment of the suspension.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    those who leave the spindrift on seasonally - what's the experience of attaching your UQ like?

i usually invert the RR to allow for easy installation of the UQ (I use an Incubator and attach the shockcord suspension to S-biners clipped at each of the 4 corners of the RR). I imagine this being very difficult 'inside' the spindrift.

my initial thoughts to account for this: leave the spindrift on the RR, but only permanently threaded with dogbones at one end. this would reduce the 'threading' to just a single side, while keeping the spindrift attached to your hammock and making UQ install easier. a fish hook or beetle buckle will certainly expedite the process. I also imagine doing this with the spreader bars on the outside will be easier, since you'll be able to do the 'threading' without the rigidity of the formed RR structure.

I've not found a video of a complete spindrift install - so am just curious as to what it really looks like to do this in field.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Images
    So I don't do anything special to the SD, just leave it installed on the hammock ready to go. Don't flip the hammock/SD upside down like you might do withouth the Sd on there, instead just string up the bungee cord and unzip the door, and sort of lay out the UQ in the bottom of the SD, connecting one corner at a time, then put the spreader bars in last.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast