Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I don't know that its really a selling point, though.
    It's a selling point of the spindrift. It lets you use a smaller tarp than you would otherwise be able to use, which means you need less area for your tarp, have less of a big wet mess to pack up when you break camp, and can probably get away with less total weight for the same amount of protection from inclement weather.

It's most assuredly a selling point of the idea of a sock - perhaps that selling point comes with other tradeoffs, but arguing the semantics of "selling points" seems absurd to me.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

multiple tarps

Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    It's a selling point of the spindrift. It lets you use a smaller tarp than you would otherwise be able to use, which means you need less area for your tarp, have less of a big wet mess to pack up when you break camp, and can probably get away with less total weight for the same amount of protection from inclement weather.

It's most assuredly a selling point of the idea of a sock - perhaps that selling point comes with other tradeoffs, but arguing the semantics of "selling points" seems absurd to me.
    I think for many, you're exactly right - those who have smaller tarps, but are using larger ones for coverage - may indeed feel that one of the bonuses of buying a Spindrift for use with the RR is that they can use their smaller tarp, instead of say their BMJ or Maccat Ultra or Big Daddy, etc., etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not a selling point in general because you're talking about having to buy something in order to use the tarp you have, OR even buy something so that you can buy something else - a smaller tarp. This is what I mean by semantics... its a selling point only if gives you an advantage over what you have now. In the case of the Spindrift, it seems to me that the only selling point is better coverage and warmth than you would have with any one tarp.

I still think I would want the same "roof" coverage regardless of using the sock or not - at least in rain.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

IX and silnylon

could you make a sock out of insultex and silnylon? it would give insulation and wind and rain protection?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    could you make a sock out of insultex and silnylon? it would give insulation and wind and rain protection?
    it would have to be breathable for you to enclose yourself in it, so you'd want breathable fabric instead of silnylon

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    it would have to be breathable for you to enclose yourself in it, so you'd want breathable fabric instead of silnylon
    Maybe the IX and some ripstop nylon. If you put the ends on draw strings you could open them up and get a breeze going through, but you could control that by tightening or loosening the ends.

I would think you would gain a ton on warmth down to the cooler temps, without having to add some major insulation. Maybe your regular 3 season stuff would be fine and the IX/Nylon sock would take all your gear to a 4 season set up

Ok...I want to make this!!!!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    Old thread -- I know.

I purchased a two door multicam Spindrift from Warbonnet and had it modified (local seamstress) to have a 30 inch zipper on the head end below the spreader bar ($25 -- probably what Brandon would charge if it were an available option).

This allows me to keep the Spindrift on 100% of the time (except for skeeters) and still be able to install a pad through that horizontal zipper if I want to use a pad.

I also replaced the Apex buckles with Dutch biners. This makes it easier to remove the amsteel lines in prep for the "insert through grommet or remove through grommet hassle).

I like this set up enough that I have now ordered some noseeum black mesh so that the seamstress can add bug screen to the outside of each door (zippered).

We'll see how that works out. Goal is to never have to remove the Spindrift at all. I motorcycle camp and jeep camp with the WBRR.

I have a WBBB on the way for hiking use. This hammock thing is addictive.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I just got a ridgerunner and spindrift sock for Christmas. I haven't used either yet. I was wondering if there are still issues with having to undo the suspension to get the sock on and how the socks works with the ridgerunner bug netting. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by jblaser View Post
    I just got a ridgerunner and spindrift sock for Christmas. I haven't used either yet. I was wondering if there are still issues with having to undo the suspension to get the sock on and how the socks works with the ridgerunner bug netting. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Bugnet is not a problem wirh the old style and it looks like it will not be with the new design.

I have used a Spindrift for years. My Spindrift worked with my netting.

Hammock
    Sld TR blck, WBRR 2x
    Tarp
    Rsbtr kit hex 12 b
    Insulation
    Phnx. 40, WL shell
    Suspension
    Dutch buckles
    uh i'm guessing you have the old style which does require you to undo the triangles from the apex. It's not hard but it takes a few minutes. The bug netting and the spindthrift don't interfere once installed. But For the best practice, roll the net back and tie it before you install mainly to keep the net from getting pulled/torn. Alternatively you could install fully zipped.

You spindrift should have small rings in the interior where you can attach the bug net shock cord.

You may be able to ask warbonnet to exchange the models but really, i am fine with having the old style. Read all the old ridge runner threads for some good options.

Images
    Old model install is the same as new model install... you still have to remove the apex buckle unless you are using a carabiner there, in either case the dogbones have to be seperated from eachother so you can pass them through the 4 corner holes on the Spindrift. With the old version you thread the dogbones through the grommet holes, with the new version you thread the dogbones through the larger holes. The new larger holes are big enough for the whole corner buckle to pass through, putting the corner buckles on the outside of the sock instead of the inside, allowing the poles to go outside. That is the only difference. Everything else is basically the same except for making double doors standard, shaving a bit of fabric off the bottom of the sock and adding a pad zipper option to the order menu. All other features are unchanged. The old setup video still shows you everything you need to know to do the install.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast