Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner

Storm's a comin, I'm going hangin!

Yeah, it's heading right this way! See the "2 AM" point? Yeah, that's covering my house.

What I do for work, will have me right here until the last minute, hoping that I'll get off this island before they close the bridges. I'll be busy with site preparations, and evacuating tourists. So I know, one way or another, my next week is going to be stressful.

So this weekend, I'm taking the wife camping. She had me sew a bug net onto my first (actually second, we won't talk about the first...) attempt at making my own hammock. We strung it up yesterday and it looks great. We've already got all of our storm/zombie outbreak supplies stacked up by the door, ready to shuffle into the bed of my truck when the word comes to evacuate. So why not take a little time to go enjoy ourselves?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    If it's like around here you'll have more to fear from the tourists than the weather. Folks get crazy and go into hoarding/survival mode even over a relatively mild storm (clean out the shelves, board up the house, etc). Then everyone gets into an even more aggressive driving mode.

My son has a doctor's appointment Monday that we really can't reschedule so I'll be driving the other direction. This should be fun.

Stay safe and have fun.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Be careful out there. I'm in the southern tip of Florida too.
    Hopefully it will slide a little west of Naples. But then it will be in the warm, open Gulf. We need our northern brethren to send an early cold front down here to smack it before it hits the Florida Panhandle.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Yeah, he's a comin'. No way around that now. I work for the school district, in IT. We have a new (well, new to us) building. Though it is a 50 year old building, it was built when concrete and steel were plentiful and cheap. Used to house the county Emergency operations center in the basement.

My house is just 2 blocks off the water, but we are almost 100' above sea level here, so we are fairly safe. But on one around here likes these buggers.

Yet, like FlyingMonkey, I spent last night re-rigging both of my hammocks, and I am making some new whoopies this morning. Hoping to get the wife into a hammock for a nap today. It's a first step.

FM--have fun and be safe. Look forward to hearing about it soon.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Supplies all gathered up and standing by. As it looks now will just be riding the storm out here at home. Everyone be safe.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i've been in florida for almost a year, and this is my first storm. i'm probably the only person in the state that is a little excited about it but i think i've got enough supplies...maybe. i'm also considering going and doing a little hanging before the storm hits.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Looks like it's drawing a bead on your neck of the woods there in the north Gulf,bk. First I remember going thru was Donna back in 1960. Rode it out safely but was without power for 2 weeks. Scared this 10 yo but Dad was calm so all was well. Just be safe out there.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Draumr or Sierra Madre
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    lots of down
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Be careful out there. I'm in the southern tip of Florida too.
    Hopefully it will slide a little west of Naples. But then it will be in the warm, open Gulf. We need our northern brethren to send an early cold front down here to smack it before it hits the Florida Panhandle.
    My entire family is in the Sarasota & Tampa area so I am quickly sending a strong cold front to blow across the state starting now! Everyone stay safe and stock up on drinking water and flashlights. I lived down there for 28 years and know what's it like to be glued to the weather station hearing words like "decimating" "destructive" etc.. it's not fun.
    Megan
    In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer. [Albert Camus]

Hammock
    Hennessy Ul Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    Noah 9 / Hen Hex
    Insulation
    reflector/T-rest/
    Suspension
    back to rings

I'm just south of Sarasota and we have 70-80%

chance of Tropical Storm force winds and lots of rain as of tomorrow afternoon per the latest report. I usually volunteer for Red Cross, but am securing things at my stained glass warehouse, locking up my kayaks and trailer and preparing an evac kit in case this storm decides to head east after all. Several years ago, Hurricane Charley was expected to pass us and hit Tampa (despite there being no Republican Convention that year) and instead headed east. Missed us by 8 miles and took months/years to repair the damage in Punta Gorda. On the bright side, we'll have lots of big surf.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I remember Charlie and all his friends in 2004.
    A BAD year!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast