HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HH Hyperlite Asm
    Insulation
    WBBM TQ, DIY Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hammock Backpacking vs. Hammock Car Camping

I gotta say, I prefer backpacking for one reason.

MUCH EASIER PACKING. It all fits in one backpack. Which means, 1 trip to load the car, one trip to the campsite, one trip back, and one trip to unload the car.

Car camping:

Carry the backpack, chair, and cooler to the site in one, miserable, heavy, awkward trip. Then trudge back. Grab the firewood, fishing gear/whatever other toys I brought because it was "car camping", for another miserable, heavy, awkward trip.

Rinse and repeat TWICE more to load and unload the car.

Add a crashpad or two in there if it's a rock climbing trip. (Awesome, but believe me, a pain to carry around when you have all the other crap to carry too.)

Lugging crap aside, there's also cleaning out the cooler once you get home. I hate this because inevitably someone forgets to close the hot dog pack and now I have hot dog water all over my frickin' cooler, and on all my other food/food packs.

I'm also a minimalist when it comes to cooking, even when car camping. I try and keep it simple: Boil some water, make tea and top ramen or oatmeal. OR cook dogs over the fire. While some of my friends are making bacon, eggs, and pancakes in the morning. Ugh, what a mess. I'd spend most of my time cleaning dishes when I COULD be lounging, or adventuring!!!!!

I dunno, I guess it just feels like MORE work to car camp, when compared to backpacking for me.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    On my last two car-camping trips I took with friends, I took only my backpack (and its normal contents) and a cooler. The cooler just had some grilling stuff, and some good cold drinks.

I enjoyed that approach a lot. Coolers make a good footstool for sitting around.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I never car camped until a couple of years ago when I started attending HF big group hangs. Before that, I was strictly a minimalist backpacker.

I can't find anything that I bring to these group hangs because it's all just thrown into the car, helter-skelter. I hate that feeling! Angrysparrow has the right idea!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    clarke Nx 250/ woodsman x ?
    Tarp
    ML Cuban Fiber
    Insulation
    ukhammocks modular
    Suspension
    Whoopie dutch kit
    I can honestly say i have never before Hammock "car camped " for me it about the mountains the backpacking in moving the next day the hunting etc Not that it does not sound good...
    "THE FINAL STEPS WHICH WE MAKE IN LIFE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT MOVE SLOWLY"... r. s. g . 1966

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This is a constant struggle in our Boy Scout Troop.
    It's hard to preach "be prepared" and "don't over pack" in the same breath.

We generally have 2 groups of boys: backpackers who hang and car campers who tent.
    Even though they bring much more gear, many of the "heavy packers" are less prepared than the backpackers.
    It's not totally and age thing either. I've got 12 & 13 yr old Scouts who have seen the light.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I don't make many trips when I car camp because I drive my rig right up to the campsite. Granted it takes 4-low to get there, but that is fun in itself.

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    I like both.

When I car camp it is at the lake...so drive into the camp site, hang the hammock and then splash the boat...let the fun begin!
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Backpack: Ultralight, moderate minimalist.

Car Camping: Someone call Hoarders.

I went to a fall MAHHA first, parking is about 20ft from the hang spots. Packed waaaay too much for the next MAHHA (Spring) where parking is over a mile from the hang spots. I had no idea about the distance change, and lugged a big gear container all the way to the hang spots only to give myself a year+ back injury and a broken backpack stay.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    gotta say I don't get your problem. When I car camp the car is the cupboard. No lugging anything farther than the tent or picnic table. If that is more than 10 ft you parked wrong. ;-)

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    I like angrysparrow's concept of the same backpack and a cooler. It seems like a good compromise. Too many times I've hauled dutch ovens, dry boxes and a bunch of other stuff for the car camping trips... then again the vittles from them feed a large group rather well.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast