Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy A super newb needs help on first hammy

Apologies if this is the wrong forum but I didn't see/find a newbie forum so here I am.

I recently bought an ENO DoubleNest and have two eyebolts screwed into the headers above a doorway and window in the living room since I'm **** tired of sleeping on the couch for nearly a year! But now I'm stuck, what kind of rope should I buy? What kind of knot(s) would be best to use? The eyebolts are approximately 14ft apart.

Thanks in advance HF.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here is a thread with a lot of information about indoor hanging. You will probably find all your answers there. Welcome to the forums!

Fronkey

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Here is a thread with a lot of information about indoor hanging. You will probably find all your answers there. Welcome to the forums!

Fronkey
    Thanks Fronkey. Lots of helpful information on that thread but nothing about the type of rope used. Mostly just about bolt positioning.

I was thinking about 1/2" poly or 5/8" nylon rope from Home Depot or Lowe's but I'm not sure. They have a safe working load of 250lbs+

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I would stay away from nylon if you're going to be sleeping in it every night. Nylon stretches like you wouldn't believe. You can either use polyester webbing or amsteel. I'd suggest getting the polyester webbing and a pair of whoopie slings so that you can take the hammock outside and hangout if you want to.

Edit: Although, now I see that you mentioned the rope being 1/2" or 5/8", so I can't really speak the attributes of rope at those thicknesses.
    Last edited by SPaCeMn; 08-22-2012 at 13:26. Reason: Noticed something I didn't see before
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

Quote Originally Posted by SPaCeMn View Post
    I would stay away from nylon if you're going to be sleeping in it every night. Nylon stretches like you wouldn't believe. You can either use polyester webbing or amsteel. I'd suggest getting the polyester webbing and a pair of whoopie slings so that you can take the hammock outside and hangout if you want to.

Edit: Although, now I see that you mentioned the rope being 1/2" or 5/8", so I can't really speak the attributes of rope at those thicknesses.
    Thanks for the response. I probably won't be moving it from the living room since I'm never home. They sell a 50' bundle of Solid Polyester rope at Home Depot which will throw me back $22+ for a lot of rope I don't need. Where can I get amsteel? The cheaper the better.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got my whoopie slings from whoopieslings.com. The owner is a member of the forums and he's awesome to deal with. I'm not sure where everyone gets their loose amsteel. I'm sure someone will reply shortly with better info. Sorry, I'm a noob also
    Check out my (mostly) outdoor themed t-shirt design elements! Oblivious Art and Design Make your own custom tees! Hammock inspired designs to come!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps and whoopie
    Hey Anti: I've had that white nylon rope you see at home Depot deteriorate and break at the most inappropriate times. Most folks use Amsteel for various reasons, among them it's 1600 pound break strength and lack of stretch. Dutch, a member of this very forum, has good prices on Amsteel
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/rope/

A lot of folks here have also suggested Redden Marine as their source for Amsteel
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/rope-cor...ed-colors.html

By the way, you can make your whoopie slings out of that same 7/64" Amsteel line.

I got my Amsteel from Redden. They ship Priority Mail and it was to me two days from my order date. I would definitely recommend them. If all you need are whoopie slings amd have no need to make anything else of Amsteel then it would probably be easier just to buy the slings and be done with it. You will pay about $2 more, but you will get that back in the time you will save. Gold luck!

pick up a pair of polyester 6' long "cinch straps" rated for 1000-1500 pounds and you should be good to go for about $10-15 for a static hang spot.

Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    Hey Anti: I've had that white nylon rope you see at home Depot deteriorate and break at the most inappropriate times. Most folks use Amsteel for various reasons, among them it's 1600 pound break strength and lack of stretch. Dutch, a member of this very forum, has good prices on Amsteel
    http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/rope/

A lot of folks here have also suggested Redden Marine as their source for Amsteel
    http://www.reddenmarine.com/rope-cor...ed-colors.html

By the way, you can make your whoopie slings out of that same 7/64" Amsteel line.
    I'm going to get the amsteel from Dutch. I try to support independents whenever possible. Helps a lot that his prices are competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by G-FOURce View Post
    I got my Amsteel from Redden. They ship Priority Mail and it was to me two days from my order date. I would definitely recommend them. If all you need are whoopie slings amd have no need to make anything else of Amsteel then it would probably be easier just to buy the slings and be done with it. You will pay about $2 more, but you will get that back in the time you will save. Gold luck!
    So once I have the amsteel, I'll be dealing with two eyebolts in the walls and carbiners on each end of my ENO DoubleNest; do I need anything else? And what kind(s) of knot(s) do you guys recommend? A name or a youtube clip would be so helpful. Thanks again guys, I just can't wait to hang indoors!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast