Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Post Whoopie Slings Vs Webbing & Rings

So I've been using the whoopie slings for awhile now after swapping out the previous Ring Buckle and Webbing suspension. The other day I was breaking out the hammock for alittle relaxing in the yard and after slipping my sling over the marlin spike and hopping in the hammock, i decided to hop out and go get a drink, upon sitting back down in my hammock, to my shock and horror my hammock collapsed to the ground leaving me confused and sore along with a spilled drink.

"What the heck happened?," I said to myself. I then looked up and saw that the whoopie slipped off the marlin spike somehow. No biggie, right? Well it kind-of is; if this was in a different scenario, (say the mountains), and I were to hang the hammock in a somewhat tricky spot, (which I sometimes do), then I could have been in alot of trouble.

Now I understand that the collapse of my hammock was purely human error and that it is up to "me" to ensure that my suspension is properly seated before seating myself. However, In my defense, I am human and I "will" make mistakes and "forget" things and sometimes hang my hammock in somewhat tricky spots. Therefore, to eliminate some of the dangers of being human and making mistakes, I think I will switch back to my Ring buckle and strap suspension.

To be honest this is not the whole reason for switching back; the whoopie slings are very cool and fun to make, as well as alittle lighter compared to straps, but they just aren't as functional and convenient as straps & buckles are for "me." When I used to use the straps, I was able to setup my hammock so much more quickly and it was much simpler as well. Honestly, I am not even really sure why I moved to whoopie slings to begin with; I was quite content with the straps in the first place. Maybe it was because of all the hype, the idea of trying out something new, or the lure of a simple DIY project, that led me to switch suspensions. Whatever the reason, I am back to my webbing and ring buckles. The slight increase in weight and size is acceptable for me.

I'm not really sure why I wrote all this and please forgive me if you feel that you have wasted your time reading this. I guess I am just curious to hear peoples thoughts on this subject and if anybody else has similar experiences with flip flopping suspension systems.
    Anybody else ditch the whoopies and migrate back to their original suspension system?

I don't mean to discredit the whoopie sling's effectiveness in anyway in this tread. It is a great suspension system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could add a prussic type knot on the whoopee end....slide it up to secure the toggle. Saw forum member beep do that. Works like a charm.
    Me...I always double check mine and give a good tug and make sure the whoopee end is on the knot and not on the toggle.
    Carry forth.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You're not the first this has happened to. When I setup family and friends with hammocks, I always give them ones with strap and cinch buckle suspension because it's pretty fail safe and easier to rig. For myself, I go back and forth between whoopie and strap systems. The main appeal of the whoopie to me is that it packs a little smaller.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I think many people have moved back from whoopies to webbing. I do both. I can use webbing for closer trees if their diameter isn't too large, or I can use the whoopies with trees farther apart. I have straps and whoopies all connected together to use as needed. My trees at home are close together, so I use webbing there. I forgot to put a slippery half hitch on one end the other day, and I took the express elevator to the ground! I guess no system is perfect as long as man is involved.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG-20 degree
    Suspension
    Arrowhead WS setup

I agree

I caught up in the whoopie excitement as well. I even asked Brandon at WB if I could save some money and not get any straps because I was going to do the swap out. This was all based on what I read mind you, I had never even hung a hammock before!

Well two years later I think the straps work great but the whoopie/MSH combo is very functional and reliable. I do not even take my toggle out of my loop. I have used the same hitch for my last 5-6 hangs. I only redo it if the distance between the trees dictates it. ( so I keep up with my toggles better as well)

I just did a hang in the Idaho Sawtooth Rec area (gorgeous place) and got some tree sap on my tree huggers. I left the strap out of my bishop bag so that I would not "contaminate" the rest of my rig. I was passing a hot spring on the side of a trail and thought hmmm, I need to wash my face and my tree strap. I rubbed sand on the strap then cleaned it in the hot water coming out of the ditch and it was good as new. I left it to dry and then put it back in the bishop sack. So there is one advantage of whoopie/MSH system.

I know that I read somewhere on this forum " isn't great that we have options"?

HYOH

PS: That tree was full of ants as well. I never did see them on my hammock though. I would like to think that they could not make it past my drip knot, but maybe I just got lucky.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Instead of just "looping" the whoopie sling over the toggle and marlinspike hitch, I girth hitch the whoopie behind the marlinspike hitch and knot in the webbing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl, BIAS WWM, BIAS WW
    Tarp
    Zpacks, OES Delux
    Insulation
    WL Summer, HG Phx
    Suspension
    Whoop!
    I just got some dutch buckles and they seem to eliminate any chance of the whoop slipping off the strap. Hey tender toe - can you post a pic of that girth hitch?

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just use climbing range biners, MSH and a carabiners seems more safe than toggles IMHO

Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    With whoopie slings of course (sorry just forgot to write up there) :P

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Hard to Beat a Biner

Quote Originally Posted by esku75 View Post
    I just use climbing range biners, MSH and a carabiners seems more safe than toggles IMHO
    Ayup. Carabiners solve a lot of problems at once.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast