Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    I started out with whoopies and toggles on my ENO. When I went to Hennesey, I originally intended on putting whoopies on it too. Once I started looking into it, I steered away from it because it wasn't as easy to put the whoopies on the HH as it was the ENO. This caused me to go to biners and rings and I really like this method now.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Got my new Ti CAMP Photon Wire carabiners today. So light! The new whoopie sings are a perfect match. I do believe my goal of going ultralight will be met.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip,ENO DN
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    RB,WS, toggles
    I did the same thing. When I got the CAMP biners and the rings and finally realized how light they were, I was really impressed.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    They're like a work of art, huh, jw? I expect my children will fight over them when I'm gone! LOL

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by packeagle View Post
    I use Elephant Trunks to solve the problem.
    I like the elephant trunks. I might have to try that out sometime. But for now I think I am just gonna go with the K.I.S.S. and just have one thing to work with for the suspension. I like the idea of just having my webbing and buckles. Super fast, super easy, and can be adjusted just as easy as anything else. Draw back is about 4oz extra weight. No worries.

Ive only just started hammocking, but already prefer the webbing system over rope/whoopie.

Why?.. Well, the webbing goes around the tree, and is the point of adjustment. One piece of hardware, 2 uses. Using a climbing carabiner and a webbing cam buckle keeps things simple.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1X2, GTSB Pro
    Tarp
    EquinoxNylon 10X12
    Insulation
    ground pad
    Suspension
    1"strap w/"D" ring
    As with most things in life I've found that the KISS principal is usually where I put my smart money, but saying that I also have multiple boxes and drawers of "do-dads" that were "cool" and worked from fair to great but after some period found its way to the "drawers" because KISS is usually simple and usually safer.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringment of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Just wanted to add that I dont mean to suggest that a webbing suspension is better than whoopie or any other suspension for that matter. There really is only one perfect suspension, and that is the one that works for the you. I just am stating that webbing seems to work better for me and how I like to setup my hammock.
    One can easily argue that the actual setting up of the hammock is something fun and enjoyable. The more customized and intricate the suspension, the more enjoyment one receives in setting it up. I am recollecting on a quote I heard once, "It's not just the destination, it's the journey to the destination."

There are a few suspensions in here that some members suggested and I think I might try a few of them out before finally settling on one.

Images
    I should clarify my suspension set up. I replaced the claytor straps with a 4-foot strapworks simple sling with 3" loops in each end. The loops are then placed over the 2 descending rings by threading them into the middle then folding them over the top of the rings and pulling the loops tight toward the bottom of the rings (like a larkshead)

I then use a 12-foot strapworks simple sling around the tree - threading one loop through the other then threading the long loose end through the rings.

That eliminates the need for a biner.

With a whoppie, I attach the whoopie to the hammock with a larkshead using the fixed eye, then I attach the adjustable end of the whoopie to a 4-foot tree strap with a biner. That eliminates the use of toggles.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Kelty Noad 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies-N-Straps
    Images
    You made me think about it. I prefer whoopies on mine. I think I might make a set of straps for my brother though. I'm not trying to be rude, so please dont take this wrong. My brother is what some people term as special. To me he is just my brother. It is best to keep things simple for him because he tends to forget things. I drew a diagram for him on how to hang his ENO and he has done very well with it. I think using rings would be simpler for him. I'm going to try it out and see if it works for him.
    I am me and no one else can be me without my permission.

My Youtube page.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast