Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner

A mix of exploring, biking, trails and an overnight hang in the Florida Panhandle.

I have always enjoyed a solitary exploration of the wilderness. Hiking and camping was something I used to do quite often. At times, you could find me heading for the hills every weekend, for weeks on end.

Things tend to get in the way sometimes. I had not been on one of my alone in nature adventures in several years. This year I had decided to take up trail bicycling, and wanted to incorporate some camping into it. It turns out I'm not alone in this, there's an entire culture of bikepackers out there. I got my first taste of this with my friend Mat when he lead me on a tour of the Saint Marks National Wildlife Refuge.

I learned a lot on that ride. "Backpacking" on a bike is not the same as backpacking on foot. Load distribution, for one, is much different. I tried carrying the weight on my back, as I used to do while hiking. It turns out that it's much better to carry the weight on the bicycle whenever possible.

I also discovered the joy and comfort of hammock camping. I utilized what I learned online and put together my own hammock kit. The Saint Marks trip, and a few since have helped me learn what I should and should not try to pack onto the bike, what was needed, and what could be left at home.

My most recent expedition has proven that I have learned a thing or two since that painful experience south to Tallahassee. My report about this trip can be found here....

http://panhandlepedaling.wordpress.c..._2002117752_n/

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like you found a great spot to hang. Good luck with your bikepacking adventures.

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    I love that entire region. I'm hoping to find somewhere hang friendly closer by though, because the fuel costs are cutting into my other fun funds...

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks for pointing me to your post! I don't bike much anymore, but I do hike, and I was on this section just 7 weeks ago. With some scouts, we did the entire length of the Juniper Trail, backtracked to the shelter where we overnighted, and hiked back to the state park in the morning. Great little overnighter, but I would not have expected someone would try to bike it.

I have also been to Krul Lake. Next time you are out there, go the rest of the way down the trail (past the suspension bridge). It is a 1.5ish mile trail that leads to the next lake, Bear Lake, where there is another campground. Bear lake is ringed by two trails. The inner ring is a 5 mile walking trail, and the other is a bike trail. Both are very nice, and worth exploring.

If you backpack, you may also consider Conecuh Trail (just north of Baker, FL across the Alabama line in the National Forest), or the Florida Trail across Eglin (DeFuniak to Crestview). I have hiked that and been passed by cyclers.

Hope to run into you out there sometime soon.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DIY Walmart Fabric
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Suspension
    Strap & Carabiner
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    I have also been to Krul Lake. Next time you are out there, go the rest of the way down the trail (past the suspension bridge). It is a 1.5ish mile trail that leads to the next lake, Bear Lake, where there is another campground. Bear lake is ringed by two trails. The inner ring is a 5 mile walking trail, and the other is a bike trail. Both are very nice, and worth exploring.
    I liked Bear Lake, it was the first campground I checked out on this trip...

http://panhandlepedaling.wordpress.c...-state-forest/

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    If you backpack, you may also consider Conecuh Trail (just north of Baker, FL across the Alabama line in the National Forest), or the Florida Trail across Eglin (DeFuniak to Crestview). I have hiked that and been passed by cyclers.

Hope to run into you out there sometime soon.
    I haven't backpacked since I left MA, where I would travel to NH often to explore the mountains. I had a hard time calling walking on level ground, without a peak as a destination "hiking". I'm a bit of a mountain snob I guess. But after doing that section of the Juniper Trail, I might be a convert. I'm tempted to hide a kayak up near Red Rock bridge, and hike up from where I parked my truck, then float back down.

I'm looking at Conecuh as well, for a future trip with a friend who is into bikepacking. I've got my permit for use of Eglin recreation areas, I might have to look into doing that section of trail, and having the wife pick me up on the other side.

• + New Posts