Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Hornet
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Big Agnes w/ Exped
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    If you're considering the slap straps, you're obviously not obsessing over weight. In addition to the Atlas straps (which are just the polyester version of the slap straps) you can also consider the Kammock version called Python straps. I bought mine before the Atlas straps came out, and would buy them again. It sort of ticked me off that the Atlas straps took so long to come out despite the numerous reviews that mentioned the stretch...the Python straps come out, and voila...out come the Atlas straps...
    I'm sure you'll be happy with either, and they're the same price...I love mine.

I'll also echo all of the recommendations for the polyester webbing with either a pair of descending rings or cinch buckles. Less expensive and probably a little lighter than the daisy chain system with carabiners. I have all three systems and use the webbing and cinch buckles most often. Less slippage without having to worry about putting in a half hitch (I put in a half hitch anyway unless I forget...belt and suspenders guy)

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, WWBB
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    Woopies.
    I use slap straps. I haven't noticed a lot of stretch with them. But then again I probably hang a bit higher than most. I like to have some air between me and the ground incase a critter wants to crawl under. I just upgraded to whoopie slings so I don't use the daisy loops any more. They work but I like the extra adjustability the whoopies give.

Joe

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GA_HammockGuy View Post
    I would highly reccomend the 1" tubular webbing from REI. You can't go wrong with it. I have used it for years and it does NOT stretch.

-just my 2cents
    I believe Nylon in general, stretches, and even more when wet. Fabric, webbing, cordage. They all stretch. Poly does also but much less than nylon. About half as much, if not less. Nylon tubing is much stronger than the nylon webbing by design and can handle much more load. It might be stretching less than most 1" nylon straps, but I would imagine that is because it is much stronger. I dont mean to discredit the nylon tubing at all, it probably holds up just fine and does a great job for you. After all, we all have our own setups that work perfectly for us. HYOH

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    I have used the REI tubular climbing webbing for Tree hugger straps. I like others just sewed a loop on one end and pulled the tab through to hook on the whoopie slings. I have not had any stretching when used in that manner. I have been in several really rainy storms too.

The last batch of webbing I purchased was from
    http://www.shipperssupplies.com/1Webbing/

I got 300 feet for $25. Enough for many in our Scout Troop to get some huggers. I have yet to camp out for a weekend to see how these work, but they take up less space and are slightly lighter. Looking forward to our next trip.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DerNageler View Post
    I have used the REI tubular climbing webbing for Tree hugger straps. I like others just sewed a loop on one end and pulled the tab through to hook on the whoopie slings. I have not had any stretching when used in that manner. I have been in several really rainy storms too.

The last batch of webbing I purchased was from
    http://www.shipperssupplies.com/1Webbing/

I got 300 feet for $25. Enough for many in our Scout Troop to get some huggers. I have yet to camp out for a weekend to see how these work, but they take up less space and are slightly lighter. Looking forward to our next trip.
    The link you gave was for Polyester straps not nylon. Im confused.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Hex Fly
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes Ins Pad
    Suspension
    Slings & Whoopies
    Sorry I should have said that the first straps I made were from the nylon tubular webbing purchased at REI. I think around $11 for 30 feet. I purchased that originally because it was easy to drive to REI and pick it up.

I wanted to make some more and I have switched to the polyester webbing mostly becuase I could get 300 foot for $25. I am making a few longer ones for fatter trees. :-) I still have and use my REI Nylon Tubular webbing straps and that is all my sons use. None of us have had any stretch on the Nylon ones used just has huggers not as the main suspension.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12