Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Nice trip report. Great to see all your DIY stuff. I like the bike also. Too hot for me tho. Being a canadian i get too hot in the eighties.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I think all of those animals came into camp because they couldn't see you for all of the camo.

Nice video and report. I was expecting to see more people as I originally thought that this was a group hang. I'm glad to hear that you were so close to cool water.
    Yep. That woodland pattern really does a job on their noses.

I was hoping for more folks to be able to make it, but scheduling and the short notice on the hang wound up defeating that. The Hotter'N'Heck Hang came out of the last G3 hang where OldScout and I had the idea of trying a hang by water so folks could come out during the summer heat, and not have the experience that you and I did on the FHT. Originally, it was going to be at Fanning Springs, but Tropical Storm Debbie dropped so much rain on the state that the swimming area there was closed up until two weeks ago. So, since we'd waited so long to find out if the swimming area was going to be open, well...

Prior planning prevents pee-poor performance...or something like that. Still, it was a wonderfully relaxing weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    looked like a great trip! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Nice trip report. Great to see all your DIY stuff. I like the bike also. Too hot for me tho. Being a canadian i get too hot in the eighties.

bill
    Thanks! That bike has been really kind to me; it's been my car for the last eighteen months and hasn't let me down yet.

I get hot any time it's above eighty, as well. But, unless you want to spend early March to early November inside down here, well... I'm too impatient to wait until October or November to go back outside. One of the reasons that hammockry is so attractive down here; without an underquilt, you stay a lot cooler than you would in a t**t. And you don't have to fight the bugs.

Hammock
    ENO singlenest
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    poncho liners
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Looks like a good trip. I like the camo gear, very cool.
    with two m's, like "hammock."

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesthemmingway View Post
    Looks like a good trip. I like the camo gear, very cool.
    Thanks! I'm actually in the midst of switching over to a lot of olive brown stuff; I can't find 1.4 sil in patterns, so...

But, anything that can be made with netting or breathable nylon is easy enough. DIY has sure saved me quite a bit of cash, and it's definitely a good way to know your gear inside and out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Thanks for posting your trip. Just got around to read and watch your vid. Looked liked a great campsite with a nice canopy. I ve' been known to remove twine and nails from trees at campsites too! Almost a lost cause at Fort Desoto. People have put nails on almost every tree to hang tarps from. Its a shame. Wish you took a vid of the spring, but musta been very busy from your description. I am still amazed how far you pedal that cruzer!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Thanks for posting your trip. Just got around to read and watch your vid. Looked liked a great campsite with a nice canopy. I ve' been known to remove twine and nails from trees at campsites too! Almost a lost cause at Fort Desoto. People have put nails on almost every tree to hang tarps from. Its a shame. Wish you took a vid of the spring, but musta been very busy from your description. I am still amazed how far you pedal that cruzer!
    Thanks, richtorfla!

Yeah, it's a beautiful campground.

The reason I don't have photos of the springs is 'cause I was afraid of someone taking my camera if I left it by the water there, and I was just too hot to do anything other than soak for an half-hour. Sorry; I promise to get more after Labor Day when the springs slow down quite a bit.

I hear you on the...uninformed individuals...who do that sort of thing at campgrounds. It irks me, but...well...family-friendly forum, so I'm going to leave it at "irks".

The ride's actually pretty easy. The only part that's a pain is right between Gainesville and Alachua on US 441; of the seven or eight flat tires I've had in the last 4,000 miles, a minimum of four of them were along that stretch from tire wire. Apparently, the old pavement there makes folks' tires go fairly often. Either that, or no one cares enough to clean the shoulders up...could be both, I guess...

Hope to see you again in January!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123