DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Thermoflect/IX

The pictures tell the story

Here are pictures of a TQ using Theromflect and IX as insulation layers. It's compositon is as follows:

inside material towards user: olefin
    first layer: IX
    second layer: Thermoflect
    outer layer: WP ripstop nylon

There is an inner pocket to keep small items at night, and the outer nylon cover material is differential cut, and closed with velcro, to allow for insertion of an additional insulation insert of down, or other insulation depending on the conditions expected. The top is edged with fleece. The Thermoflect and IX are needle punched on a 3" grid to help reduce condensation. But for temperatures above freezing, condensation has never been a problem. I think without extra insulation, this combination would be comfortable for me to near 32 deg. as I am a very warm sleeper, but, have not gotten down to that temperature with it yet. Olefin and Tyvek weigh the same per yd. 1.9 oz. so I went with olefin, as it will transfer condensation a little bit.

The total weight is less than 26 oz. and the quilt rolls down into a size of 6"x12"

This is intended to be used as a summer item, and, also an additional inner layer to suppliment a winter quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    wasn't familiar with olefin and so did some googling. Interesting choice to put it next to your body and have rip-stop nylon on the outside. Your thinking on that?
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I've been not so lucky with a double layer IX top quilt. I leaves me both cold and sweaty. Glad it's working for you.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    wasn't familiar with olefin and so did some googling. Interesting choice to put it next to your body and have rip-stop nylon on the outside. Your thinking on that?
    Well I carefully weighed it, and it came out to about 1.9 oz per yd, the same as tyvek, and most other commonly affordable and available fabrics. I am thinking that it will let vapor/moisture pass through and not collect directly on it's surface. But I have used tyvek as an inside layer, and not had condensation with it either. I have a fleece collar at the top, so the somewhat stiff olefin won't be against any skin.

The rip-stop is military grade, and waterproof. I did not want a inside layer like that, it certainly would have been a damp experience. With light weight thermals, it will be interesting to see what happens when it gets colder than 40 degrees this fall.

Did I mention that I got 34 yards of the camo rip stop at a surplus store for $3.25 a yard. Wahoooooooo Have you checked out surplus places for fabric? Where I got mine they had all sorts of gortex, marpat, and cordura, and said they could get me anything I wanted. I just have to buy a remnant left over roll, no yardage cuts.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts