Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gossemar Gear pads

So I'm trying to go as ultralight as my equipment will allow. I've got a single layer hammock that I use but I don't use an underquilt. I'm wanting to lighten up from my Thermarest Prolite 3 short that I use. I have super strength velcro on it to keep me from sliding around. It works well. What foam pad can I use that woudln't be to bulky but keep me warm down to 35-40 degrees? I'll be doing a bikepacking trip in Arkansas at the end of October. Room is very limited.
    Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    The Gossamer Gear pads are great, but I doubt one will get you that low. Two might depending upon how cold you sleep. They're very light and thin and can roll up tight.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

so a 1/4 inch pad in a 20 degree bag with 2 light wool tops on and full leggings and wool socks and a head cap wouldn't do it? I do sleep cool, not cold btw.

Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    so a 1/4 inch pad in a 20 degree bag with 2 light wool tops on and full leggings and wool socks and a head cap wouldn't do it? I do sleep cool, not cold btw.
    You'll need two pads to make it down to 20F. You could consider a Speer SPE and use one GG 1/4in pad along with your thermarest and see how well that works. If you aren't going to buy/build an underquilt, I think you really should get an SPE (segmented pad extender).

I'm not trying to make it down to 20 degrees, I'm trying to make it down to about 40ish.

I'm not trying to make it down to 20 degrees, I'm trying to make it down to about 40ish.
    I know I can sleep down to the high forties with one 1/4" Oware evazote pad with an Exped Wallcreeper bag rated for 45. You might try doubling up the insulation under your torso, like I said previously, the easiest way to stack pads is with an SPE.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Hennessey hex
    Insulation
    RW quilt, GG pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings.
    Images
    It would more than do it for me.
    Art
    ---------------
    "Strength is life; weakness is death."
    ---Swami Vivekananda

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    So I'm trying to go as ultralight as my equipment will allow. I've got a single layer hammock that I use but I don't use an underquilt. I'm wanting to lighten up from my Thermarest Prolite 3 short that I use. I have super strength velcro on it to keep me from sliding around. It works well. What foam pad can I use that woudln't be to bulky but keep me warm down to 35-40 degrees? I'll be doing a bikepacking trip in Arkansas at the end of October. Room is very limited.
    Thanks!
    i used the 1/4 oware pad down into the teens on a 3 nite hike with a 32 degree down bag with no problem.neo
    the matrix has you

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i used the 1/4 oware pad down into the teens on a 3 nite hike with a 32 degree down bag with no problem.neo
    As we all know just because you can do it doesn't mean most of the rest of us can. I served on a A-team with a guy like you, I woke up one morning wrapped up in two poncho liners, a bivy bag, wearing a watch cap and a down vest. Dave McClain was lying there snoring, wearing a tee shirt with a poncho liner casually draped across him, with his size 14 bare feet sticking out.

I have two of the wide oware pads and I double one up to 30x40 or so and then put the other one longwise which gets everything but under my feet (I'm short). With creative cutting/taping you could make it the right length.

this gives me a triple thickness, which is probably good to the low 30's. I went to 0F, but that was with another 1/2" pad in addition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast