modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhawk424 View Post
    Let say that the hammock you got is like the DD hammock
    ( http://www.ddhammocks.com/gallery.php ). then without any fanciful gadgets how would you tie your hammock to a tree? i mean no gadgets such as tree hugger, caribiners etc etc...

thanks
    I wouldn't consider tree huggers as fanciful gadgets. They, or straps, perform an important role in protecting the tree bark. Also, if you hang from a sappy tree, they allow you to separate the tree sap from your hammock and everything else in your pack.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I wouldn't consider tree huggers as fanciful gadgets. They, or straps, perform an important role in protecting the tree bark. Also, if you hang from a sappy tree, they allow you to separate the tree sap from your hammock and everything else in your pack.
    Yep, tree huggers or webbing around the tree is a good thing.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    O i see... ok then lets say you dont have a hugger? then ow would you work it? is there like a simple way? i am asking it as in Singapore it is smetimes hard to or impossible to find some stuff for camping. thanks

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhawk424 View Post
    O i see... ok then lets say you dont have a hugger? then ow would you work it? is there like a simple way? i am asking it as in Singapore it is smetimes hard to or impossible to find some stuff for camping. thanks
    What I have done is to take a 12' tie-down strap like you would get at a hardware or automotive store and clamp the steel hook in a vise. I cut the rubber coating on the hook, and twist the eye open. Now I take the strap out of the eye, and I've got a tree huggin' strap. Repeat for other strap. I'm using mine with ring buckles, but that's just me.

You could take seat belting and sew an eye in each end. If you really must tie a rope around a tree, you could wrap it in a sweatshirt or put a piece of foam between it and the tree or use a piece of carpet! All of these things will work to distribute the load on the tree bark, but they are all more cumbersome and bulky.
    Last edited by pedro; 10-03-2008 at 21:10. Reason: To give other alternatives

Images
    perdo

thanks i will try it how long is the strap? how many time can it goround a tree? how much weight can it handle?

thanks

Images
    What I have done is to take a 12' tie-down strap like you would get at a hardware or automotive store and clamp the steel hook in a vise. I cut the rubber coating on the hook, and twist the eye open. Now I take the strap out of the eye, and I've got a tree huggin' strap. Repeat for other strap. I'm using mine with ring buckles, but that's just me.

You could take seat belting and sew an eye in each end. If you really must tie a rope around a tree, you could wrap it in a sweatshirt or put a piece of foam between it and the tree or use a piece of carpet! All of these things will work to distribute the load on the tree bark, but they are all more cumbersome and bulky.
    you guys wont believe it...i went to a few hardware DIY store in the largest mall but they do not sell the 12' tie-down strap!!!

look like i need to go find the automobil store to look for it or some seats belt... wish me luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12