Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Look at it as degrees of comfort.

Sleeping on the ground with a pad is more comfortable than no pad.

Sleeping in a hammock with a pad, is more comfortable, than sleeping on the ground with a pad.

Sleeping in a hammock with an UQ, is more comfortable, than sleeping on a pad.

For most
    100% agree with this.

An analogy compared to cleaning up.

On the ground = Cold shower with bar of soap for hair and body. Don't run out of quarters.

Hammock/Pad = Nice hot shower with shampoo and soap.

Hammock/UQ = Steamy hot bath with hair conditioner, foo foo shampoo and soap. You can set the temperature to whatever you want for as long as you want.

Still waiting to see if I get a free massage after the bath when I get my BIAS 11 footer or tablecloths. Hopefully they will arrive soon.

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-02-2012 at 17:31.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    Hammock/UQ = Steamy hot bath with hair conditioner, foo foo shampoo and soap. You can set the temperature to whatever you want for as long as you want.
    Andy, I don't know if a massage is in your future, but for what it's worth, this was a great analogy; one of the best I've read. Thanks!

~derek

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Thanks for the kind words Derek. It is easy when you learn from the masters here on the forum. In my career as a nerd I was good at absorbing, processing, and applying information. I've always been more comfortable allowing people who write beautifully like you, Cannibal, Just jeff, and many others on the forum to put ideas into words. I feel very inadequate when it comes to writing.... Never met a sentence I couldn't end with a preposition or a paragraph I couldn't turn into a sentence without punctuation. Sad considering how much I love to read. We used to joke at the university I graduated from that we had the highest incoming English ACT/SAT test scores in the state and 4-5 years later graduated a functionally illiterate scientist or engineer.

Andy

Forgot to mention I loved your book. Well written with lots of up to date information. Absolutely brilliantly illustrated.
    Last edited by Full_timer; 08-03-2012 at 17:25.

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_timer View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Derek. It is easy when you learn from the masters here on the forum. In my career as a nerd I was good at absorbing, processing, and applying information. I've always been more comfortable allowing people who write beautifully like you, Cannibal, Just jeff, and many others on the forum to put ideas into words. I feel very inadequate when it comes to writing.... Never met a sentence I couldn't end with a preposition or a paragraph I couldn't turn into a sentence without punctuation. Sad considering how much I love to read. We used to joke at the university I graduated from that we had the highest incoming English ACT/SAT test scores in the state and 4-5 years later graduated a functionally illiterate scientist or engineer.

Andy

Forgot to mention I loved your book. Well written with lots of up to date information. Absolutely brilliantly illustrated.
    Andy: You're a very literate writer. I've been in the newspaper business since my teenage years (which constitutes more than 25 years now) and while my job function is not specifically as a writer, I've served in that capacity and many others as one must do in small market newspapers. I've seen English and journalism majors who couldn't put together a string of coherent, functional sentences. I no longer consider it "talent" versus a lack thereof, but more of willful ignorance and/or not having an imagination that leads you to have something to say.

One thing I have enjoyed on Hammock Forums is the high degree of competent writing by many people -- some of whom identify you with your sentiments -- when it comes to describing ideas and very specific problems and solutions. Writing is, after all, communicating well, and you and many others communicate very well. Most of your "concerns," I expect, come from a shortage of confidence, not a lack of ability.

And Derek's book is very cool. I break out my Nook once a week to look up something in it. My hard copy is at my office where I often use it figure out solutions to problems posed to me -- like how to whip the ends of a cinched end hammock.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123