Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 57hop View Post
    Since you have a top netted hammock already you could set up a used bed sheet like an underquilt, without much cash outlay or added warmth. Be sure it is loose enough that you don't give the vampires a place to reach through.

1x for a bug net around your whole kit. I have a ENO Guardian, but a DIY set up could be less spendy.
    +1 any fabric, cheap walmart tulle, bedsheets, etc slung under your hammock with a slight gap would work well. Worst-case, safety pins every 6" down the sides might be necessary.

Here's my design thoughts: take a rectangle of tulle about as wide as your hammock, or up to 6" wider.
    Sew a channel on each side and pull really light elastic down each side and end. You will probably need corner loops to tie to light elastic for suspension.

The goal is to cinch the ends and sides enough to seal, while leaving the fabric loose under you...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    I too have just returned from scout camp and had no issue not even using a bug net. high 90s all week and 90% or above humidity, i was using my G.T. double,used a military bivy to lay on and when needed the light weight patrol bag all were treated with Gordens sheep and goat spray (11.00+change per gallon ready to spray @tractor supply) 0.5% permethrin also tried that gadget that off sells uses 2 aaa bateries and an odorless repellent insert cliped on the tarp ridge line no bugs anywhere it worked and the insert lasted all week. said 12hrs but just used to sleep it really worked. Yay! no bug net!! even gave it the lantern test; sat it next to the lantern and in short order they were gone me likey... TRAV.

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    I hadn't seen Fronkey's video!
    LOL. Toooo cute!!

(runs off to fire up thread injector)

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by creativeKayt View Post
    I hadn't seen Fronkey's video!
    LOL. Toooo cute!!

(runs off to fire up thread injector)
    Not just cute, but that too.:

Crisply edited, with (most of*) all the essentials. Just enough to get you to think you can do it. Just what Derek works for and does with his great illustrations. Every video should try to be this good. Bravo.

*While we're here, in this thread: Did Fronkey rule out any bug net material for his design, or does the next home-fabricator go through the usual consideration of serious and more expensive noseeum vs less expensive and less durable tulle?

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    The trick to the premethrin is to soak the hammock, ( literally ) and then let it air dry.
    You can get Permethrin in concentrate at most feed stores or online and it's a lot cheaper that way. Just mix it up in a bucket and let the hammock soak, (net and all) and let it dry outside. You can even do your hiking cloths the same way.

This year is a bad year for mosquitoes and I decided to use the Sawyer spray on with disposable gloves and mask. I read the directions and did this outside on a sunny day treating clothes and the backside of the hammock, I applied twice and each time not in areas that come in contact with the skin. A week later over at the farm at a party it was getting to be dusk and I grabbed a treated shirt. It was hot and I was sweaty and we were sitting outside on the patio. I wasn't getting bit, but my back started to itch like crazy - the sweat against the material was compressed by the back of the chair and the chemical was getting into my pores. By soaking you are getting the material on both sides, if you have a sensitivity to Permethrin you are going to pay for it. The products at the farm stores has to be diluted correctly and folks you need to read the label and MSDS. I recommend if you are going to do this get the correct concentration specifically for clothing.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    Living on a farm i am very careful about reading labels and using required protection the spray i am using is already diluted to spray directly on the animals, sheep , goats active ingredient (sp) is the same as sawyers spray,has little to no odor compared to the 20% percent concentrate that i use to spray the whole barn periodicaly .it has a strong petroleum odor that lasts about an hour after application how ever no bugs in the barn..i dont think i would us it on my gear however, the inert chenicals in it tends to melt rubber seals in my sprayer on occasion. Trav

Find or make a single layer hammock the same size as yours. Hang it underneath.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Soak it

All my treated garments, including the hammock, get soaked/dried/rinsed before I use them. I think the emulsifiers (petroleum distillates??) listed on the label will really irritate your skin. The permethrin is supposed to chemically bond to the fabric once it dries but I'm pretty sure the rest of this junk will rinse out.

I know it significantly reduces the lifespan of my treatment but I'll take that over burning and itching. I find even the new spray on sunscreens to be irritating so I must be pretty sensitive.

Hammock
    DIY Sage TCF gathered end
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    ccf fleece down
    Suspension
    DIY webbing/biners
    I often use the mosquito repelling incense sold in box store camping sections. Light it at dusk and it will clear out an area for a while, put it a bit up wind from you. just use a piece an inch or so long. that with a loose bugnet over everything and i am bite free in Alabama

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123