Hammock
    SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings
    I also have the SBPro and use the poncho liner UQ and a 1/8" CCFpad and Permathrin. 4 days in The Mountain Lakes Wilderness in So. Oregon and no bites. Covered in a cloud of skeeters though they stayed off me.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pokaspot View Post
    I'm in a grand trunk skeeter beeter pro they get me from the underside... sorry I should have made that more clear..
    If you're not using an underquilt or pad for insulation due to warm enough overnight temperatures, then perhaps an underquilt protector would do the job. Essentially it is a piece of water repellent fabric that is meant to block wind from robbing heat from your fabric. In this case it would act as a second layer to your hammock and make it more insect bite resistant.

2QZQ sell them for a reasonable price.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pokaspot View Post
    any body here know how to keep from getting eaten alive while sleeping in the hammock? I've tried the spraying the fabric with permethrin I've sprayed with deet which did last a couple of days but that just gets expensive,
    ~poka~
    The Permethrin did not work? It has always worked for me on the hammock or on my clothing. One good treatment OUGHT to last you 6 weeks, especially if you store in a airtight bag.

I would NOT spray DEET on my hammock, it is known to damage some synthetic fabrics.

A double layer hammock should help, though you may not feel like buying a new hammock.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies.
    I haven't tried it myself yet, but I bought one of those Off! Repellent fans. As far as just sitting around outdoors, it seems to be reasonably effective. It's small and lightweight, and you can probably just clip it to your hammock and be good to go.

Hammock
    grand trunk skeeter beeter pro
    Tarp
    diy 10'x10'
    Suspension
    I'm liking a lot of these ideas... I am however on a shoestring budget well since I live in a depressed area and have been out of work for almost a month a little smaller than shoestring... So I'll have to rig up a makeshift underside bug net for now. if anybody has any ideas on that front I'd appreciate the help. THANKS YOU GUYS.
    ~poka~

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    You can make a detachable full bug net out of Tulle fabric. It is fragile but dirt cheap. Fashion tulle from Joann fabrics is pretty durable. I just used some to make a TED bug net as designed by Pipsissewa. She has a video about it on the forum. If you don't sew you could improvise with duct tape or something. The TED doesn't leave your hiney exposed!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night Owl
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Daisy Chains
    For the right price you could try a blood transfusion with a few pints of my blood. Mosquitos very rarely come near me even while those around me are being bled dry. Better still, on the few occasions that I have been bitten, I suffer no reaction from them. No visible bumps....no itching....nothing. My sister "suffers" from the same affliction. We think that maybe we were bitten so extensively when we were kids that we built up some defense against the little blood suckers. We have often joked about marketing our blood.

Sorry, but that's all I've got.

The trick to the premethrin is to soak the hammock, ( literally ) and then let it air dry.
    You can get premethrin in concentrate at most feed stores or online and it's a lot cheaper that way. Just mix it up in a bucket and let the hammock soak, (net and all) and let it dry outside. You can even do your hiking cloths the same way.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    You can search here on permethrin and find lots of references to inexpensive sources from farm-supply stores. Of course, the quantities are usually larger, driving up your outlay.

Much as folks here like permethrin, it is just another insecticide. You may have some spray cans of other 'thrins in your garage or tool shed, maybe aerosole products from Black Flag or Raid. Check the label for warnings against fabric use, and if there are none, spray the underside of the hmmk.

Of course you can protect the underside of the hmmk with an all-enclosing bug net. You might treat it by soaking or spray with insecticide or repellent for added protection.

Last, lemon-eucalyptus oil was found by many, including Consumer Reports, to be an effective repellent. Not expensive.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 08-01-2012 at 21:39.

Hammock
    Breyman 1.1 ACU, GTUL, TL DBL
    Tarp
    BMJ, GG 12x12
    Insulation
    Incbtr 20, No Sniv
    Suspension
    Whoop whoop!
    Since you have a top netted hammock already you could set up a used bed sheet like an underquilt, without much cash outlay or added warmth. Be sure it is loose enough that you don't give the vampires a place to reach through.

1x for a bug net around your whole kit. I have a ENO Guardian, but a DIY set up could be less spendy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast