Hammock
    speer
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    webbing
    Jeff , newbie here with a question. Why the biner on the webbing and not just thread the working end of the webbing through the loop on your webbing?

Thanks

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bberms21 View Post
    Jeff , newbie here with a question. Why the biner on the webbing and not just thread the working end of the webbing through the loop on your webbing?

Thanks
    Cause biners are cool & we are lazy & its faster.
    Nothing wrong with threading the webbing. HYOH "Hang your own hang"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bberms21 View Post

Thanks
    Also, with the biner everything below the tree can kind of stay in place for storage. In other words, you don't have to take the strap completely out of the buckle if you don't want to.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - those answers are what I was thinking. With a biner, the entire hammock/supports setup is in one piece. If you don't have to separate the webbing from the hammock, the chances of leaving the webbing on the tree when you leave camp are MUCH lower. (Yes, that happens...)

Also, it's faster. And I like faster.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    12' diy hammock
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    warmth
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    ok, i finally made it through the whole thread! 906 posts and i just have one question. why do you put a biner on the webbing and not run the webbing through the loop?

ha, just had to toss that one out again. it took me about 2 weeks to read it all, but i was only reading about a page at a time, granted my pages are 50 posts long. now i have finished just about all of the stickies, i know i've done the other big ones. but that bridge hammock one... i don't think i'm mentally prepared for that one yet.

more than half the thread was based in 2007 and things have surely changed since then. that got me wondering when amsteel came out. from this thread the first mention of it was in 2008 or 2009.

i bought my webbing from arrowhead and i just went on and got the rings from him too. i went on and got 15', right now i'd rather have too much. they cost a little more, but i got my underquilt from him so i'm happy to toss him more business. plus i got green stitching to go with me green rings and green biners. i got it all when i had only read about 1/2 the first page, i may have gotten a cinch buckle instead. i have 2 eye mounts in my room over my bed so i can test out my creations in safty. i ran the biner through the loop on the webbing then clipped it in the eye. so i've been testing out different things.

i have only had it slip on my once when i was first playing with it and didn't have the webbing lined up properly. it just slowly dropped me right on to my bed. even tho it was a soft landing it still got to me. that unexpected drop really shakes you up. after that i pulled the bight through the last loop, instead of all the slack, to make it easier to separate the rings (i hope i said that correctly). i like this method because i don't to pull as much through. then on the other end of the hammock i did it the normal way and put a slippery half hitch for the stopper. it stayed like this for about a week. i forgot i was testing them and just used it like normal. both methods held fine, but i think i'd still like a stopper knot in the bighted one. i don't know how much i trust it yet.

i did a weekday camp out this week and used the rings in the wild for the first time. link to the gallery. the ring buckles held up great. i wiggled around a lot throughout the night adjusting my quilts and even turned around without getting out of the hammock and the rings held in place. the only issue i had getting the rings apart was that my hands were cold, but a 90 degree yank on the webbing did most of the work.

wow, that was a lot longer than i thought. i guess i had a lot to say after reading all these posts.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That is the exact setup I'm using and it works wonderful!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I still use ring buckles pretty often...it's what I had at the CO Winter Hang last weekend. I also like the cinch buckles, when I use webbing. No need for a safety knot with those.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sploiz View Post
    ok, i finally made it through the whole thread! 906 posts and i just have one question. why do you put a biner on the webbing and not run the webbing through the loop?
    You use a biner or dutch clip (what ever you prefer) to clip onto the webbing so you don't have to remove the straps from the rings. This way it stays all together as one whole. You just clip onto both trees and adjust from there. I currently switched my suspension to cinch buckles. I like them cause they come in one piece and you don't have the fiddle factor of having to align the rings.
    I am also testing out strap length. I am currently working with 12' on each side and that is way more than I need. might bring it down to 8' and see.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 91 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293 ... LastLast