BIAS Hiker Lite Teal/Black
    Tarp
    GG Emergency Shltr
    Insulation
    Leighlo UQ
    Suspension
    BIAS standard kit
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    I usually recommend the GT to a newbie because they go on sale often for 20 bucks. Then have them make whoopies/toggles/straps like dirtwheels has pointed out to cut down on cost. But not everyone likes to splice cord so I wind up doing it for them and don't always have the time. I really like your all-in-one rig (now that I've been enlightened). Also an 11 foot hammock is sweet.

This is a good thread.
    The GT UL is a good deal and it's a good hammock. I own a couple (at least I used to and think I've still got them). But like you said, there are additional investments that can stack up. By the time you pay the $20, get the suspension kit, etc., you're not far off of a good hammock system.

That said, what I like about tablecloth hammocks, the GTUL and our hammocks are simplicity.

Some hammocks out there are true works of art, but I find myself drawn to ideas that are light, dead simple, that rely on very little hardware and that don't have a lot of moving parts. Modular kits are a favorite of mine where you can remove parts from your kit -- your net (because it's cold and you don't need it), your whoopies (because your straps can be tied with toggles and those can hook to your hammock channel loops and you can take up slack by additional wraps around the tree) or even your channel loops (by larksheading on your whoopies). The idea of being able to strip things down to the bare bones while having the option to add on items you need is very appealing to me. But we're all evolving and my perspective may change one day.
    --
    www.buttinasling.com
    Now carrying the Mini Tattoo Stove!
    Light weight. Low prices. Great gear.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrianb View Post
    The GT UL is a good deal and it's a good hammock. I own a couple (at least I used to and think I've still got them). But like you said, there are additional investments that can stack up. By the time you pay the $20, get the suspension kit, etc., you're not far off of a good hammock system.

That said, what I like about tablecloth hammocks, the GTUL and our hammocks are simplicity.

Some hammocks out there are true works of art, but I find myself drawn to ideas that are light, dead simple, that rely on very little hardware and that don't have a lot of moving parts. Modular kits are a favorite of mine where you can remove parts from your kit -- your net (because it's cold and you don't need it), your whoopies (because your straps can be tied with toggles and those can hook to your hammock channel loops and you can take up slack by additional wraps around the tree) or even your channel loops (by larksheading on your whoopies). The idea of being able to strip things down to the bare bones while having the option to add on items you need is very appealing to me. But we're all evolving and my perspective may change one day.
    I can definitely see the appeal of this.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12