Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    TW XL black at the moment
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag

Jumping in at the deep end.

I've gone and booked myself some time in a relatively local campsite to see how things go with my hammock set up, it's maybe slightly misguided but I'm determined to get it to work so I'm giving myself no choice.

I think I have everything I need and except for really driving rain I should be comfortable, warm and dry.

Any tips for a complete novice?

I'm being driven to the site and left there so I have no escape for 2 nights, I have a hike planned for the second day so I can't take any luxuries that I won't be able to carry on the hike (like my lovely Tilley lamp).

I have a buddy with me who is determined he will be more comfortable in a tent and I desperately want to prove him wrong!

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Hammock
    DIY Hennesy
    Tarp
    Sml asym & LG Rect
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Bring some extra rope for when your buddy realizes how much better sleeping in the hammock is and decides to hang his tent in the trees. :-)

Seriously though, I would bring extra rope and maybe one of those cheap 9.00 walmart backpacking tarps. They are 5x7 and pretty light.

I was concerned about how comfortable the hammock would be, the first time I slept in it was less than encouraging. I tossed and turned all night. The next night was much better though and now I have no problem sleeping in it. It takes getting used to that's all. Getting the hang right was the toughest part. I made the entire setup so I was worried I screwed something up but everything actually worked great.

Good luck on your adventure!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I wish I had a swing like that in my back yard"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    I expect the travelling to a Walmart alone would bankrupt me, I think the nearest one is about 3000 miles away over a rather deep pond.

I have a large tarp and a small one for the ground if I need it. I know it's not ideal but I have plenty of paracord for emergencies and will get some more Amsteel when I get chance, I think I may need to redo my whoopie slings as they have frayed slightly from when i spliced them, other than that I think i'm pretty safe and good to go.

Hammock
    DIY Hennesy
    Tarp
    Sml asym & LG Rect
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Lol, didn't realize where you lived.
    "I wish I had a swing like that in my back yard"

I'm really new to this too and only have about 10 nights up my sleeve and 9 of those have been in the backyard.
    As I'm generally over prepared, I don't know if I would be putting myself in your position tbh.
    Every night I'm in the hammock I learn something I didn't know the day before.
    At the very least I'd say you need a couple nights with alternate options or options close to hand to test your gear to work out your insulation approach. What works and what doesn't. Cold nights are bloody long nights.
    Comfort can be well down the list of needs.

good luck though and keep us posted.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Noid, hope that it goes well. The first time is always an adventure. The more familiar you are with your setup, the better. Let us know how it goes.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    There is a learning curve--------lots of little ways to dial in or tweak your hammock Just take your time, be patient, and have fun with it! You will get it! Like any other skill, it takes a little practice to get the hang of it (no pun intended!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    Modified mummy bag
    I have so far had one night in the back garden which was aborted due to comfort and warmth issues, I won't hang in the garden anymore as there just isn't high enough points for me to hang from to get a good angle.

The trip is a necessity that I think I am prepared for but we shall see.

My previous discomfort was due to poor hanging angle and my homemade under quilt slipping away from me. I have added a structural ridge line and bought an under quilt so I believe I have my initial problems nailed now.

I sorted my homemade under quilt and it now sits fine but it was too large to be practical once it was packed down into its stuff sack, so I conceded and bought one instead.

Cooking wise, I have a Trangia which although is quite large and heavy, I certainly think they are the daddy when it comes to stoves and have used mine for years (with only one small incident because of my own stupidity).

I think I'm ready! :/

Hammock
    The one I'm in
    Sounds like your on the right path, I did something similar when I decided to start hang'n
    Your poor buddy will soon relize that your smarter than him, but he'll most likely try to say he's right. Thaen in a few months ( if not sooner ) he will get a hammock and sleep in comfort to

Hammock
    DangerBird72 /W.L. Light owl
    Tarp
    4S Cuben/WL OMW
    Insulation
    Fronkey made20* UQ
    Suspension
    Whooooopie...
    I also would encourage you to go to a local park or open public area that has some trees and just practice hanging your hammock. Pay attention to the hanging angle of the suspension and how high above the ground you have it so it will work in "chair mode." Hang your tarp also. The tarp is important to keep everything dry if it rains. Hope you have a great time! Would love to read your Trip Report when you get back.
    "When you get to the end of your rope,tie a knot and Hang On."- Franklin D. Roosevelt

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast