Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

How wide is too wide, how long is too long for a hammock?

I suspect surfer is right about the width.

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I just bought some tablecloths to make hammocks and I didn't buy the 90"width because I really thought the additional 30" of width was overkill and would not be utilized.
    I will probably order both 60" and 90" tablecloth blanks out of curiosity. Long hammocks like the tablecloths and dangerbirds are very popular. My reading, on HF, leads me to believe the consensus is that longer is definitely more comfortable. Where is the point of diminishing return? I would love to hear some comparisons and opinions.

Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 07-22-2012 at 11:33.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    The first tablecloth hammock I made was 90 inches wide. I almost immediately ordered a 60-inch wide one because I didn't see the benefit of the 90-inch width. To me, it just wrapped me up "burrito style". The 60-inch wide one is plenty wide for me to get a good diagonal--in fact, there's plenty of fabric left over. I'm 5'5" tall. Mr. Pips also finds a 60-inch wide hammock perfectly comfortable with a good diagonal. He has less fabric left over (around his shoulder and around his feet), but still enough. He's 6'0".

Having said all that, however, Diva B and others love a 90-wide hammock.

So, to answer your question, "How wide is too wide?", I'd say that if weight is an issue, 90 inches is probably too wide. But you have to decide the benefit-to-extra-weight issue to come up with your own answer. Just don't be surprised (as I was) if 90 inches wide is not that comfortable.

I'm sure I've left you more confused than ever!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    If you're really curious, there's nothing to it but to try it. You can always cut 30" off if you don't like it.

I'm like Pips though, I tried it and didn't see any real benefit to it. Maybe in cold weather it would be okay as the extra can wrap around you, but meh...

It's what, $5 more? Live a little! If you don't like it you can make several shiny stuff sacks!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Longer won't be more comfortable when the ends collect rainfall and deliver the stream to the low point of the hammock.
    Longer: Saves pennies on suspension length and adds $ on required tarp size.

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    No, Pips your response is the info I am looking for. Not confusing at all, very helpful. Both you and Randy make me think I will order 1 90" and 3 or 4 60's, which is a reversal of my original thought. Be fun to hear from a 90" advocate.

Andy

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    Not a hard line 90" advocate, but a strong supporter. I have not spent any full nights it it, as that isn't why I personally made one, but it is tops for afternoons with my wife while she reads, and I ponder more DIY gear ideas.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    I use my Dream 90 from Randy on my screened in porch for casual lounging - I find it to be very comfortable. I don't know that I'd take it backpacking as the requirement for a longer tarp that DemostiX references would be weight prohibitive. I will say that one of the nice features for me in the D90 is the ability to create an "arm rest" for my left arm (I hang left to right on the diagonal) by bunching up some of the excess material. I should also mention that my attachment hang points are at least 8.5' off of the floor as I had to go that high to attach it to a strong structural support. That may not be optimum, but it's what I have to work with. We just leave it up pretty much all of the time now and the wife and I both use it whenever the Charleston heat allows. That's not often right now!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    To be positive: Width is among the things you get for more money when you are shopping a Mayan style hammock. I don't know if any come more than 100" wide at their grandest and most expensive. That's another way to lounge, with more air directly below you.

But back out in the field, or even the back yard, taking full advantage of width also means you will need a wider tarp, not just a long one. A very wide tarp indeed, if you are tall.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I like a 60" wide hammock. My DIY hammock is 12'X70" and the sides are too floppy, but it's a end channel hammock. I'm afraid that if rewhip it'll become a bath tub.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Here are my thoughts on hammock width. If you cut a hammock in half cross-wise, while someone is laying in it (just use your imagination, don't actually try this at home!), you will get a "U" shape. The depth of the "U" is detemined by the ratio between the hammock and ridgeline. The width determines how far up the sides of the "U" the edges of the hammock will be.

On super wide hammocks, your head and feet are going to. E climbing up the "U" shape and you are going to be doing the banana! A narrow hammock will have a shallow "U" and your head and feet won't be much higher than your bottom.

I have hammocks that range from 54" wide to 68" wide. My flatest lay is in the 54" wide ones.

I am just over 6' tall and just barely shy of 200 pounds. Hammocks that are near 11' long feel much more comfortable to me than hammocks near 10' long. YMMV.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast