Make my own or GT Ultralight Travel Hammock

15 years or so years ago, I tried a hammock and spent a miserable night, incredibly uncomfortable. In fairness, it was a very cheap hammock I bought for ~$10 and I hadn't a clue how to rig it. Over the years, I've considered giving hammocks another shot. The Hennessey caught my eye, but the price tag kept me from just splurging to try it. I've recently discovered this forum, and the bug has set back in.

I am looking to buy or make my first hammock. I consider myself a lightweight/ultralightweight backpacker, so weight is important to me. Yet, if it means a few more ounces for a big increase in comfort, I'll often take a heavier piece of gear. The price of the Grand Trunk Ultralight Travel Hammock seems to make it a no brainer to me to try out. That's less than the cost of fabric to make my own. However, I enjoy making my own gear and I wouldn't mind making my own. Was anyone else in my same shoes and if so, what did you decide?

If I make my own, am I just as likely to eventually purchase the UL for it's amazing light weight, so should I just buy it and move on? Or will I more likely end up making my own after being not quite happy with the UL and decide a few more ounces will more than be made up for in comfort? From reading the thread on the gathered end hammock in the make your own section, it seems the primary difference is the length, homemade being longer than the UL by 20"+. I'm 5'9" 195lbs.

Butt In a Sling Hammocks is my choice for comfort and light weight. They won't break the bank and the BIAS crew, (Brian and Shane) are great to deal with.
    I have several diffenerent brands of hammocks, and the BIAS hammocks are my favorites.
    http://www.buttinasling.com/weight-weenie-hammock.html

I do have a few GTUL's and they are great hammocks but for comfort, the BIAS hammocks win every time.
    Last edited by spaceweaseal; 07-22-2012 at 10:54.

Thanks for the response. I'll check out the BIAS hammocks. I went ahead and ordered a GTUL. $17 and free shipping from amazon, tough to beat. For the price, I figured I can't go wrong. And at least I'll now have a place to start from to compare.

Hammock
    DIY Ripstop/ Blackbird
    Tarp
    Tad Pole/Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Rev X
    Suspension
    whoopies
    A lot of people like the GT Ultralights and you're right, for the price it can't be beat. If you decide you like it and want to invest in another hammock, etc. then it make a great camp chair or shelf. That's what I hope to use my nano-7 for unless I really need a super light backpacking option.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I really liked the GT UL, except it is a bit narrow. It is hard to keep a TQ in the hammock. I heard from several hangers that BIAS hammocks are very nice, and they are wider, so no hassle trying to keep the TQ in. Weight wise the BIAS is around the same weight. Just my $.02.
    "No whining in the woods"

• + New Posts