Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies

Need ideas for bug net for 90" wide tablecloth hammock.

I am planning on building a few tablecloth hammocks as car camping beasts. Has anybody found the perfect commercially built bug net for a 90" wide hammock? It seems like the extreme width will limit my choices if there even are any commercial choices. All my experience, so far, is with integrated bug nets, which I love since they keep the sides from vibrating and making a racket when the wind blows.

Thank you, Andy
    Last edited by Full_timer; 07-21-2012 at 10:06.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I doubt theres any commercial bug net for this hammock, but you could easily make one yourself with a little material and the proper instruction
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    Images
    For car camping a net with the option of spreader bars would provide the greatest volume of coverage with the least interference. I have a 90" tablecloth hammocks, my wife and I love it. Together or alone it is a great hammock.
    Hammocking, car camping, backpacking, kayaking, and mountain biking. Getting in touch with nature is getting expensive. Good thing I can DIY!

BurningDaylightOutdoors Ebay Store - http://www.ebay.com/usr/burningdaylightoutdoors1

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Ya, I'm not sure. Papa smurf might make me one at dream hammocks. He allows the buyer to specify the ridge line length. His Dangerbirds are pretty long.

http://www.dream-hammock.com/shop.ht...roduct=9610168

Length and depth might be a bigger problem than the width since I will be sleeping diagonally and not perpendicular. The tablecloth blanks start out 90" x 132". I think I will whip the ends which will shorten it. Add in the sag and I'm not sure how long the ridge line will be. I may just have to build one and then I will have real measurements to compare with all the available bug nets.

I'm hoping as popular as the tablecloth thread has been someone has already found an off the shelf solution. I just didn't want to hijack that neat thread with this question.

Tablecloth thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=54858

Andy

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    My immediate impression is that a bugnet designed for a 60" width (like the BIAS Buginator) will work fine. I just bought some tablecloths to make hammocks and I didn't buy the 90"width because I really thought the additional 30" of width was overkill and would not be utilized. If that's true, then you should be fine with something like the Buginator. My tablecloths should be here next week so I'll be able to answer you definitively whether a 60" tablecloth hammock works with the Buginator.

With a 10 or 11 ft. hammock, most of the stress on the bugnet fabric is horizontal. In other words, when you're kicking and flopping to get situated in your hammock, the first thing that is likely to tear is where the suspension exits the bugnet. BIAS makes their Buginator with a 117" long ridgeline so there is little chance of horizontal stress.

BIAS let me try an earlier Buginator prototype that was 110" long (I think) and it was prone to tearing where the suspension exits the bugnet. There is no such problem with the 117" ridgeline length. Gram weenies might not like the additional 7" of fabric, but the additional weight is probably minimal, especially when it comes to peace of mind against bugs.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i have a couple of 90" wide tablecloths coming my way.
    i plan on using my Wilderness Logics bug net.
    i believe it will work well because it has a long ground to srl height.
    i hope that will allow for a more diagonal position.
    this is merely speculation, at this point, but i'll report with pix when i get the "double-wide" going.
    __bob__
    Last edited by flatline; 07-21-2012 at 21:10. Reason: remover " er " from longER

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatline View Post
    i have a couple of 90" wide tablecloths coming my way.
    i plan on using my Wilderness Logics bug net.
    i believe it will work well because it has a longer ground to srl height.
    i hope that will allow for a more diagonal position.
    this is merely speculation, at this point, but i'll report with pix when i get the "double-wide" going.
    __bob__
    The 115" ridgeline looks long enough. What do you think the ground-to-ridgeline length is? I can't imagine it's more than 60 inches (standard roll width). I would think any bugnet with 54" to 60" ground-to-ridgeline length would work fine with a 90" wide hammock.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    The 115" ridgeline looks long enough. What do you think the ground-to-ridgeline length is? I can't imagine it's more than 60 inches (standard roll width). I would think any bugnet with 54" to 60" ground-to-ridgeline length would work fine with a 90" wide hammock.
    i don't know the g-rl height on the WL net, i'll have to measure it tomorrow.
    you're probably correct in your estimates and in the thinking that any of the currently available bug nets would work as well. that's just the only nets i have.
    i won't know if it will work until i try it out.
    i'm more worried about how my UQ will stay in place while at the increased diagonal position. maybe back to a pad?

p.s. i removed the "er" from the word longer in my previous post.
    __bob__

Hammock
    WBBB DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ, HG
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Thanks for all the great input. In hindsight, this thread probably belongs in the ridge line/bug net sub forum... Nice to be on a forum where I get answers and not scolded by the forum police. Feel free to move the thread if that is the right thing to do.

Andy

• + New Posts