Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sleeping in a Hammock Every Night?

Hello Everyone

Newly-minted member here with a different sort of question than I have seen in my last few days of browsing.

I like to hike and camp, and have done so all my life--somewhat begrudgingly--with a tent. Each morning afield I wake up with puffy eyes and the sore body that only bedding down on hard ground after hauling 35+ pounds up and down hills all day can give you. After poking around here I'm already sold on hammocks and have only to make my decision which one to buy.

(Incidentally, I'm really liking the simple, modular design of the Warbonnet Traveler hammocks and am only a day or so away from buying one... more on that later.)

Here's the other part: I want to try sleeping in a hammock every night, more or less indefinitely, and not just out in the field. I want to set one up in my home and use it every single night. I live--very begrudgingly--in New York City and I have a small space with a bed that's too big, too old, and too uncomfortable for me. For the price of a new mattress, I can get a simple hammock AND a new sofa-bed for normal seating and guest/emergency use, so that's my plan.

Of course I'd like to use the hammock while hiking, too.

Has anyone else converted to indoor, workaday hammock use for at least 50% of their nights? I like that I would be able to "travel" light (I move every year or two), open up more usable space in my apartment, and just want to try something different. Any opinions on whether or not this is a "good" idea for a modern-day office worker trying to live simply and comfortably without all the excess? In terms of hammock selection -- any suggestions for a single/double layer, 1.1 or 1.7 weight? I am about 5' 10" and around 150 pounds. Who can give pointers on indoor setup (I plan on putting some eye-bolts into the studs in a fixed position and adjust using the straps).

Can you really be comfortable in a hammock night after night, with a pillow and a down comforter and a pair of pajamas, just like you would on a regular mattress?

Very excited to try this out everyone, thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Welcome aboard! We have quite a few hangers who sleep in hammocks full time in their homes. There are alot of old threads here on what kind of hammock and stands/hanging methods.

To start, some find a more contemporary hammock like a Brazilian cotton hammock to be comfortable indoors. Sounds like you are going to need some sort of simple stand since you move yearly or so and will not be able to put hooks into structures.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Last year I had a spider infestation that I couldn't get a handle on right away,

so I slept every night in my Clark NX150,
    and then just stayed in it for a long time
    3-4 months any ways.

IT WAS AWESOME
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Great to hear some encouragement!

While I move pretty regularly (3 places in 5 years) I don't have a problem putting eye-bolts into the studs and patching up with some putty and paint when I leave. A stand would sort of half-defeat the purpose of having a hammock as my primary sleeping... um, thing.

Keep your stories (and ideas!) coming, please!

Thanks!

I am sleeping outside in my Clark NX 250 every night since 5/31/12, and loving it. I am making preparations for indoor hanging for this winter. I highly recommend it. Will likely switch to a gathered end DIY hammock for indoors, but the jury is still out on that. Welcome to HF and enjoy your hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Year and a half in my DIY hammocks. Latest hammock is a 90x132 Taffeta tablecloth from tableclothfactory.com. They have a 15% off sale till the 15th so you'll get a hammock for about 25 bucks. Just gather and whip the ends and tie on a suspension. I use Whoopy slings.

I have 800 pound eyehooks into the double header of my bedroom window on one side and on the double header of the closet on the other. At night I unclip a carabiner and hook up across the room. In the morning I unclip and clip next to the other side, fold the hammock in half and roll it up. It sits on an old single headboard that was my sons growing up with a couple of pillows and an insulated blanket. Every day for the last year and a half I've gotten up and made my bed. My mother would be so proud.

I've no back aches, I have had the best sleep and I laugh alot. When I get up for the bathroom at night and come back, lay down on top of pillows that are not arranged and then wakeup in an hour and realize that I want to be under the blanket with one pillow under the knees and the other my head BUT its so comfortable as is that if I wasn't cold I'dda never woke up till the alarm went off.

The only hassles of the setup is if you don't know about your walls. A wall not put together right can cause problems. One member talks about studs that weren't toe nailed and when the load of hte hammock was put on it, it pulled the stud out of the wall, and the drywall and the siding from outside. NOT a good ride.

That being said, I've hung 200 pounds of TV on a wall mount that hooked up with 3 lug bolts into a single 2x4 and my daughter swung that thing back and forth like crazy till she moved and I found out how much stronger I was when I was going to the gym as compared to now where 200 pounds of pressing a tv by myself just about broke something vital.

Know you walls, put in a good mount iwth good hardware AND although it sounds reasonable, don't use your camping hammock. You can use it some, get it out, make sure everythign works, use it while you launder your every day hammock, but don't wear it out with everday use and then not have it when you finally get to go camping. Not when a great sleeper can be had for 25 bucks. And buddy let me tell ya, 90x132 is a GREAT sleeper for this 6'2" 280 pounds behemoth.

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Oh and spiders not included, you rarely need a bugnet inside.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I sleep in a hammock most every nite,,indoors and outdoors,,right now sleeping every nite in DIY Momemtum 90T hammock since 5th,,before,,Snipe from Wilderness Logics. Been sleeping in a hammock over a year now. Too hot to sleep outdoors as we have had 17 days of 90 to 107 degrees per day. But get my best sleep in a hammock period!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Been fulltime for over a year now with the exception of 3 seperate nights in motel beds. Here is a link to my DIY indoor stand. I also have my Turtledog stand that I use while traveling.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51787
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Brazilian
    I've been sleeping every night in a hammock for several months now. Not a camping hammock, but a large Brazilian. Didn't want to drill holes in the walls, so I use a stand. Don't have any reason to take it down in the near future, but if I did it could be taken apart and moved very easily. I can't imagine ever going back to a bed. The hammack is far more comfortable, and a fraction the price of a new bed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast