AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Nevada Weekend

Last weekend I decided I needed to get out on some trail for a little bit. Snow is coming off the high country here in the west a bit earlier than it did the last couple years so I decided to get in touch with KSC who has made it up here to the Idaho hang a couple of times and see if he would be up for a quick weekend trip. Like I needed to ask I drove down to Elko Friday morning with the plans of getting down there in time for lunch. KSC had a local place in mind for a steak sandwich, which was excellent, and then I was going to head the few miles out to the Ruby mountains where he would catch up to me a little latter once he got free from work.

Getting to the main canyon/stream that come out of the Ruby mountains at about 2 I geared up for some fishing as I would work my way up the windy canyon road looking for a spot to camp for the night. I had been reading and hearing rumors that the creek would be good fishing and almost as soon as I hit the water it was worth the trip. On my third cast I hooked into a nice 15" rainbow. We battled for a moment or two till I was able to get him to the net.

I continued to work my way up the stream for a bit, driving, fishing, driving, fishing my way up the canyon.

Towards the top the valley flattens out and the small stream begins to get clogged up by small beaver ponds. The ponds are stocked with Tiger trout and have a good population of brook trout as well. After a short bit I spotted KSC headed through the willows.

We chatted while I fished along the ponds for a while before we decided that it was time to escape the skeeters and growing dark and go find a place to hang for the night. I set up my WBBB while KSC had picked his Switchback for this trip. We both hung our FlameThrowers under our hammocks and rigged up UQ protectors to try and cut the breeze a bit but as it was crystal clear we went tarp less.

With a little searching we found a spot to park and some suitable trees. Before I had my gear hung up KSC had potatoes and bacon cooking, steaks on the grill and corn on the cob cooking. We sat up chatting, catching up on things for a while till we decided that it was time to pass out in our hammocks.

I woke up as the sun was just cresting the ridge above camp, KSC had been up for some time, eaten and we ready to start packing. We broke camp and drove back to the head of the valley to start our hike.

The climb up out of the valley kicked my butt. I have not had a chance to do much hiking yet this year, spending most of my free time wading rivers in search of trout rather than climbing hills in search of views. Climbing from 8500 to 10,450 got my lungs burning and heart pounding. But the views were amazing at every turn of the trail.

Dropping from the pass we worked our way down to the first of 2 lakes we would try fishing for the afternoon. Lunch along the edge of the lake with a few casts into the deep and dark water left us with only a fish each. Hiking on down the last mile to the lake we would stay at for the evening showed more promise for fish right away as I watched a number of small fish rising as we hiked past the outlet.

We found a spot to hang amongst a small grove of trees on a slope above the creek leaving the lake. I had brought a Hard Rock tarp hopping to block the winds we were forecasted to get, KSC had a WB with doors with the same plan in mind.

After we got our gear strung up in the trees I set out to see if the fishing at this lake was as good as I had read about. Within the first few casts I had landed fish on almost each and had witnessed to fish collide in their rush to get to the fly at the end of my line. I fished for a few hours on into the evening catching a number of small brooke trout up to about 12 inches.

Finally with shoes and socks soaked from the swampy lake edge I retreated to the fire and started to prep dinner. I had brought a couple of Packit Grommet meals that we tried and really enjoyed. Finally deciding to turn in as the coals of the fire died down and the wind picked up.

In the morning we packed up and headed back over the hill. Working our way up and then back down countless switchbacks. Finally arriving back at the parking lot. After a short break KSC headed out for home and I again geared up to hit the lower sections of the canyon stream in search of fish before making the 4 hour drive home. I started at parking at the same turnout that I had used the few days before. I decided I wanted to head down stream a ways further before dropping down the canyon into the stream and then would work my way up till I was below my parking spot. Initially I was met with boulders and steep water that was flowing to fast to fish. The climb up through the rocks and current was slow going on tired legs but as I made my way further the stream began to level out and small pools began to form in the creek ahead. If fished a few working my way slowly up until I reach the pool I had started with Friday. I crouched in the shade for a few moments watching a fish rose to small gnats.

Casting to the fish as they rose I picked up several right off the bat out of the pool. I sat again watching for further signs of fish and saw another rise. I cast and instantly knew that I had another good fish on. With a moments battle I netted the same leopard spotted rainbow that I had caught on Friday.

Again no worse for ware I slipped him back into the cool water and he swam back for the deep end of the pool. I decided to move up to the beaver pond that had produced several small brook trout before.

I again approached slowly and took time to watch the water for several moments before casting. As I watched a large shadow of the back of a fish rose taking insects off the surface of the water. This was a big fish. I cast my fly to it, it tuned at grabbed at the fly but missed. Again I cast, this time a small brook trout struck and got the fly. I pulled it quickly out of the pool and released it before it would have a chance to splash and startle the larger fish. I watched it was still feeding. I cast again, it rose to the fly and hit it hard. The fight was on, for several minutes the fish raced about the pool, pulling on the line. I tried to position myself in the out flow at the edge of the **** to block the fish from trying to make a run down the stream. I hoped to keep the fish out of the current and rocky stream below the ****. He raced left, then right, turning and looking for a way to escape the fly. The battle went on for several minutes. Several times he raced at me trying to find a way past. I shuffled my feet trying not to get knocked down in the current but trying to keep the fish in the pool above the ****. Left then right then left again the fish raced about the pool. One more dash to the right, I side step to block and he races left and around me. Over the lip of the **** he shoots, I turn and race after him. Luckily the stream opens up and the water is quickly shallow and he is only half in the water on the rocks. I am able to catch up to him and get a net under him. Moving to the edge of the stream my rod and other gear are dropped on the bank. A few quick measurements, he is over 20 inches, longer than my arm from elbow to the tips of my fingers, I can only reach his gills.

With my heart sill pounding from the fight and excitement of catching such an amazing sized fish from this small creek I return him to the net and walk back up to the pool. Slipping him back into the cool water I decide that this is the perfect point to end the weekend on. As he swims back down into the darkest part of the pool and out of site I think about the 4 hour drive home and wonder if I will be able to sit, still with a huge grin on my face.

PS. Thanks for a great and fun weekend KSC. Can't wait till we can do it again.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Wow! Very Nice Paul! Great country and great fishing. I am so envious of that beautiful country and fishing! Glad you got out and got to relax and enjoy yourself. Do it again!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Do it again!
    Planning to
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SLD SL, WBBB XLC, TTTG
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE, HG
    Suspension
    Various
    Great trip report Paul. I'm glad you were able to make it down. I had fun hiking and fishing with you even if you made me buy some new gear.

I just got back from an overnight hike and I think I found the place we need to go next time. It will be a little tougher hike though

I will email you a picture.

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Gorgeous country, and no shortage of fish. Thanks for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks cuben
    Insulation
    WB, JRB, or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Those are some incredible pics and a great report! Such a difference from down here in Las Vegas. Thanks for sharing your adventure with is!

Jay

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Great pics Paul.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Wow... I want to go fishing with you someday . . .

Beautiful trip!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HH, Explorer Deluxe 2QZQ mod 4
    Tarp
    Stock
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubater
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    That looked like a great trip. Really cool pics and some really nice fish!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Yummie..... that looks like a great trip, thanks for the hike along....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast