Clark XL
    Images

Cool Why haven't I thought of that?

Urban hanging for the brave!

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Suspension
    My own
    I have several arborist friends that camp at 50' and above!! They are called "tree boats". Take a look at this site. The company is Newtribe. They make some excellent tree equipment. I have one of their saddles for doing tree work. Tree boat pictured is only 2lb 7oz. http://www.newtribe.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=35_50
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    That was a fun video! Love the soundtrack on the first half. Thanks for sharin!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammer0419 View Post
    I have several arborist friends that camp at 50' and above!!:eek
    Awsome!!! this has been a dream of mine for some time now. I think HHs would be great for this type of hanging and i thought nobody had tried it (i mean tried it as a serious way of "camping", not just for extreme hammocking).

What method do your arborist friends use to clim the tree? Im thinking of learning aerial fabric climbing for this.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would think an open top hammock would be better for tree climbing b/c wearing a climbing harness would be easier. In a HH, you'd have to run the line out the bottom entry.

Guess that would be another use for the No Sniveler head hole, though - run the climbing line thru so you could stay completely covered up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    seems it would be easier to enter the hammock from above, i don't know how you would get into an hh, unless there was a branch directly below that you could stand on.

i've wanted to try it for a long time also, but never have.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    If climbing the tree with a climbing harness, yes, i agree, definetly a top loader is easier. But Ive always pictured climbing the tree either with a basic aerial fabric technique (which would technically not be climbing the tree, but more like climbing the fabric to get to the tree's canopy) or without any kind of support. Id just need someway to reach the branches which the suspension would be attached to.
    Most trees ive seen i think i could do this on seem to have a perfect Y shape and there is where i think it would be easier, and safer, to use a HH. I just need someway to attach the straps on to the two oppossing branches and some way to then stand in the point where they intersect and it should be easy to get into the hammock.
    I think the HH is a safer approach, just from my experience close to ground. I really trust more my HH than my clark or my toploader non-camping hammocks when it comes to getting in the hammock. I have had this happen to me: if sit too close to the edge on toploaders, i slip of the fabric and dont have enough time to grab on to the hammock and just land straight on my butt. The closest to this happening on my hennessy is when using it on the outside, as a lounger. Now, as for being inside the hammock, both my clark and hh and pretty safe, my other hammocks are not since there is no netting attached to the hammock or anything to keep you in the hammock if you slide to much to any of the edges.

Anyways, back to the urban hanging.... these are just my opinions based on the little daydreaming i do with this subject and all the tall trees i have just one block away form my house. First i have to find a safe, and as practical as can be, way to climb trees. Then what hammock to use i guess personal experience will tell, just as well as the type of tree. I hope the arborist people post some more pics and vids of their setups.
    Last edited by elcolombianito; 10-28-2008 at 23:32.
    "This is what i love about backpacking... Just clean your stuff by licking it." - Shug

Images
    what is aerial fabric technique?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    what is aerial fabric technique?
    Like the Chinese circus, or Cirque de Soleil, where they swing around in the air on this flowy, silky fabric, posing and stuff. There is some kind of women's underwear commercial on TV where they are doing that as well. Look up Cirque de Soleil, and look for pictures where people are suspended in the air wrapped up in fabric.

Images
    ok, i kinda get it, but how would that help you climb a tree?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast