Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest / XL Brazilian
    Tarp
    Int.Des. Siltarp 1
    Suspension
    Whoopies/webbing

Florida Insulation

So, I've been tweaking my gear load-out for a bit now, and I've got my hammock, tarp, bug net, and suspension all figured out (for now), but I'm in need of something for insulation. I've been using the same old coleman sleeping bag for the past 18 years or so, and on my last trip the zipper finally blew out. That thing was bulky and heavy anyway, and I'm now looking for something more compact and lightweight.

I've been considering a fleece sleeping bag liner, because it's Florida and it doesn't get that cold.

I've also thought about an under-quilt, but I honestly think that would be over-kill for all but a week or two down here. And I have to admit, the whole concept of an under quilt is fairly new to me and I'm a bit intimidated by it. Do they interfere with the natural sag of your hammock? Most of what I've seen for under quilts have been stuffed with down. Could a simple wool blanket serve as a sufficient under-quilt for warmer weather?

Has anyone tried a fleece sleeping bag liner in the colder parts of the year and if so, did they find it sufficient? Or does anyone have an alternative suggestion for insulation that would keep me warm at around 40 degrees (it does't normally get much colder here) but not be way too warm on a 70 degree night?

I know a lot of people use a pad for insulation, but I'm not crazy about that idea. Not sure why to be honest, but I'd rather go with a sleeping bag or a lightweight UQ.

I thought about one of those foil "emergency blankets" but I could see that bunching up or becoming uncomfortable. Anyone have experience with these?

I know there are a lot of Florida hangers here. What do you guys use for insulation?
    -- Graedore

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." -Hunter S Thompson

Hammock
    Tablecloth w/ fronkey net
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    TUCKuilt, pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I'm sort of new to HF and living in Florida as well, but you could convert your old coleman bag into a short (half its length or so) uq. There are several threads on how do it. It would at least keep you from getting cbs.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Depending on temps and your tolerances of course...

I have found that a microfleece blanket works good just laying on it... You could turn one into an underquilt fairly easy...

All an underquilt does is suspend the insulation beneath you so that the material,maintains the amount of loft and therefore has the max amount of insulation...

The guy above me is right, just run a few gems through that old sleeping bag and cut it down to size and truck on with it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    As has been said already... everyone is different and has their own tolerance. I live south of you and am very warm blooded but I find that below 70 I start getting cool and officially get a bit uncomfortable below mid 60s without some sort of insulation below me. In fact, I find that with my good underquilt under me I am good to a little below 60 without any top quilt. I have seen others also say that the underquilt is more important to them than the top quilt (of course you need both when it gets cold enough).

The underquilt doesn't mess with the sag of your hammock but it takes quite a bit of fussing with it (in my experience) to get it just right. Once you get the hang of it then it works great and is there and warm and comfortable. Trying to sleep on top of something in the hammock is a pain and the number of people willing to put up with it are few (there are plenty of people that prefer to use pads). It's just not for me... I love my down UQ.

In my limited experience hanging in Florida (I started in the fall) the underquilt is important starting in the late fall into the early spring. Then you have a while that the underquilt can be used and keeps you more comfortable but isn't required. Then a short period where you don't need any insulation, followed by about 6 months where it is too hot for me to be comfortable so I just don't bother.

The most important thing is for you to get out and hang in those temps at home or when car camping so that you can bring additional insulation or go inside if you can't get things to work. Hang more

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

Me too

I'm kind of in the same boat. I already have a Te-wa down UQ for cooler weather (down to the upper 20s is about as far as I want to camp). For the summer trips I'm still a big wuss (been in FL too long). I'm hoping to rig up a summer UQ of sorts from a piece of thermoflect blanket and my underquilt protector.

For top cover I've been using a poncho liner and that seems to be fine. So far I haven't had the urge to cut it down into a dedicated TQ since I use this "woobie" for other duties.

It almost like I need some special hammock sleepwear for the summer months. A heavy fleece for the seat, back, and shoulders and then a thin cotton/poly blend for the rest. Just enough to prevent that early AM case of CBS.

You can make a poncho liner UQ for pretty cheap and they compress well. I think I got my last liner for about $18 delivered from flea-bay. The surplus shop in Cocoa has them too but for considerably more.

Hammock
    Darien UL/WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Geaar
    Insulation
    HG and EE
    Suspension
    Dutch
    you can also buy the genuine issue poncho liners on amazon....although they are about $30.
    Im debating going this way for an UQ, but may go with the GG pad just for the weight savings. 22oz vs 10oz. Although I'm sure the poncho liner would be more comfortable.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Personally, I use poncho liners on top and bottom. From mid-to-late April to late October, I don't really need anything under me, so I'll only occasionally take the PLUQ.

A liner as a top quilt is good down into the low 40s for me, as is an unmodified PLUQ. I added a single layer of InsulFleece by Pellon to my PLUQ, and that's been good for me as low as 25 F without any additional under-insulation (so, pretty much the entire range of temps we get here in FL).

If I add a $3 WallyWorld fleece throw (about 40" x 60") to my liner on top, I'm good to freezing. If I add a sweatshirt as a draft blocker/torso warmth booster, I'm good down to 25 or so.

However, that's also with good sleeping clothes: a Thinsulate watch cap, a midweight fleece longsleeve shirt, heavyweight nylon sweatpants, and thick loose acrylic socks. I'm also a fairly warm sleeper; I find that most manufacturers' bag ratings are about five to ten degrees too conservative for me.

YMMV, but that works for me as a relatively cheap solution to the insulation problem.

Hope it helps!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Hook up with me .. I have everything from from full length UQ.. to 2/3rds .. and several TQ's .. PLUQ's .. I'm on the "Island" .. I'd be glad to show/share with 'ya and you can figure out your needs .. as stated .. when it start dipping below 70*F .. you'll need something under you ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    When we had our first annual Florida Hang in the ONF, temps dipped down to 28 degrees. There were several people who were using those fleece blankets as under insulation. Needless to say, we had several people grab their gear and run for their cars with the nice heaters going on full. I would say 50 degrees would be the lowest comfort temp, and 40 degrees the lowest you could sleep in with a fleece. I would recommend getting a 20 degree underquilt for year round Florida use. Not only will it keep you warm on the coldest Florida winter day, but you can open up the ends to vent, in order to keep warm, not hot, during the rest of the year.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    LeighloTQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I find the DriDucks poncho used as an underquilt with a silk bag liner is all I need in the summer. And I'm a cold sleeper who needs a quilt even in the summer when at home sleeping on my sleep number bed!

http://youtu.be/GiDHoKT2LdY
    Last edited by pixelgator; 06-27-2012 at 14:23. Reason: fix URL

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast