Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I miss the stink of the petroleum-based permethrin. You could take a sniff of your camping/hiking clothes and know if you treated them. Not with the water-based - it just doesn't stink.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I'm not familiar with the water-based type, but I see no disadvantage to using the petroleum type. If it's safe enough to dilute and use directly on your live dogs, horses, etc., I feel pretty good about it being safe to use on dead clothing. Everything I've read has said that once these permethrin products are dry, they are safe for skin contact. Having worked around chemicals much of my life, I do take proper safety precautions and wear disposable nitrile gloves (and safety glasses) when spraying it on clothes and gear. I worry more about possible impurities than the chemical itself, because there are human-rated permethrin products for treating lice, scabies, etc. directly on human skin and hair -- I'm curious about whether these human-rated products are petroleum based or water-based.

[Aside: My Permethrin Story. I have used a few products, but I currently use Martin's Permethrin SFR (36.8%), which is the petroleum type but pure enough to be rated as safe for spraying directly on dogs, horses, etc. It has to be diluted down to 0.5% for application, but that's pretty straightforward. It smells until it dries (overnight), and after that there is no detectable smell. I'm still working on my first bottle that I bought over 10 years ago. Based on my original purchase price, after it's diluted my cost is about $0.35 per liter (33.8 oz), which is amazing compared to the current price of $17 for only 24 oz of Sawyers (however I did have to supply my own spray bottle). Because it's so inexpensive, I also use it outside the house to control ants. I do purchase many Sawyer insect products that I think are awesome and being odorless, their permethrin is probably a superior product, but I'd be a pauper if I everything I've sprayed had come from their 24-oz bottles.]
    "I'll circle in the helicopter with the camera while Jim flushes out the wild rhino on foot." -Marlin Perkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12