WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images

AT, NC Balds to NOC, June 2-4, 2012

June 2, 2012

This was my first trip of summer vacation, and I was excited. After dropping my truck at Nantahala Outdoor Center, my wife dropped me at Winding Stair Gap, just west of Franklin, NC. It was a late start, about 12:45. Dewey Bear and I stepped off and began climbing. I was still feeling the effects of some bronchitis earlier in spring, but a couple of puffs from my inhaler helped.

Despite hiking the AT on a Saturday, I was pleased to have the trail all to myself. I made good time to Siler Bald.

Unfortunately, just as I started up the bald, a large group of southbound dayhikers arrived and quickly began heading up the bald behind me. I had no desire to share the summit with a large group, so I settled in about halfway up the bald and enjoyed the view and the solitude while I ate lunch. Dewey pointed out Wayah Bald behind him.

Wayah seemed a long way off, but I planned to be there before the day was done. So Dewey and I packed up and continued on. We passed several more dayhikers and a couple of southbound backpackers. Upon crossing Wayah Road, we began to climb again. I was definitely feeling it, between rough lungs and tired legs. I was glad for a break to the Wilson Lick Historic Site, down a short side trail.

After returning to the trail, I trudged up to FS 69 and the water source there.

It was getting late, and I decided to gather water here and headed up the road to Wayah Bald, rather than at Wine Spring as I’d originally planned. I made good time and reached the firetower around 7 PM.

I wanted to find a spot to hang just downhill from the tower, but the only decent spot within a few hundred yards was pretty much on the summit.

I boiled water and dumped it into a freeze-dried dinner. Then Dewey and I headed up to the tower to enjoy the view while dinner steeped.

The wind picked up and the tower became genuinely cold. I layered up in my windgear.

Dewey found other ways to avoid the wind.

But I was able to enjoy dinner as I watched the sun set…

… and the moon rise.

A handful of locals arrived to enjoy the view as I was heading down. They were friendly and we exchanged a few greetings and comments before I retired to my hammock for the evening.

Sunday, June 3, 2012

I slept a bit rough overnight. I woke several times as the trees I was attached to shook from strong winds. I slept in after the sun rose. Finally I was up and moving by around 9 AM. Once, again, I saw nobody as I hiked onward. I made good time and enjoyed lunch at Cold Spring Shelter.

From there, I trudged on. I headed down to Tellico Gap, knowing the climb up to Wesser Bald would be tiring near the end of a long hiking day. As I neared Tellico Gap, a section hiker passed me and asked if I had seen a friend he was hiking with. I informed him he was the first hiker I had seen all day. When I arrived at the gap, he was arranging a shuttle to Aquone Hostel, a new one in the area.

I avoided the temptation to spend the night in a hostel and began the walk uphill. Within a few hundred yards of the summit, I was passed by yet another group of dayhikers headed up to the firetower. I was 0 for 3 on solitary views for the hike. After a bit more slow grinding uphill, I arrived at the summit and tower.

I sat below and enjoyed some lemonade and a snack and relaxed. After about 20 minutes, the dayhikers came down and headed back to Tellico Gap. Dewey and I then ascended the steps and enjoyed the views up above.

Dewey seemed surprised how high we had climbed, insisting it was a long way down.

Then we headed down ourselves. I was grateful for an easy downhill walk to the beautiful cistern spring that was the water source for Wesser Bald Shelter.

I could hear several voices coming from the shelter from a good 200 yards away. Having gotten spoiled from years of hiking on more solitary trails, I decided to hang my hammock out of sight and mind.

I apparently did an OK job of stealth camping. I made no real effort to hide any noise and it caused concerns for at least one hiker who had stayed at the shelter. He was heading down from the spring when I heard him shouting “Hey!” and “Haw!” Then he began throwing rocks or logs downhill. I thought that he couldn’t possibly be chasing away a bear or I would have heard it come crashing through the brush. After a few minutes of this, when he finally got close to my hammock, I calmly asked if he was trying to scare away a bear or a bear. He was shocked to realize he had completely missed my hammock and tarp on his way up to the spring. He had heard me coughing or grunting and assumed a bear was in the area.

I drifted off to sleep, hoping that Dewey was the biggest baddest bear he would encounter on his hike.

Monday, June 4, 2012

I awoke about 3 AM to rain. I got out just long enough to pull my tarp over the hammock and snug down the two loose cords.

I awoke around 7, ate breakfast, and packed up under my tarp. Finally, around 8, I stepped off. Thankfully, the trail was nearly all downhill. My body felt rough, like it just wasn’t completely over the bug from the previous month. Added to the mugginess of the saturated woods, I was not nearly as energetic as I normally would be heading into a town. I stopped long enough to snap a picture at the Jumpoff.

Then I pushed on downhill. My legs felt tired just from slowing me down on the nearly 3000 foot descent. Still I managed a meager 2 MPH and soon arrived at Rufus Morgan Shelter. I grabbed some water and a quick snack, then headed downhill again. I was very glad to arrive at NOC and my truck.

I headed down to the bathhouse and showered, then grabbed a to-go order from the River’s End restaurant. Then I headed home. This section didn’t give me the uplifting experience I’d hope for. Still, it was a decent start to my summer hiking. I knew I would feel better in time.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Outstanding pics,,,and very nice hike,,and great food at NOC,,I enjoy eating there when I am in the area.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Great pictures and report. Sounds like you and Dewey had a good hike. I especially liked the moonrise picture and the one of Dewey peaking over the railing. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by grannypat View Post
    Great pictures and report. Sounds like you and Dewey had a good hike. I especially liked the moonrise picture and the one of Dewey peaking over the railing. Thanks for sharing.
    I've hiked up to Wayah Bald several times, but I was really looking forward to seeing the sun set from there. The mileage lined up just right for this trip. It was a great experience.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Equinox 10 X 12
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season UQ
    Thanks for the report and pics. This brought back memories of a hike I did on that section.
    "Sometimes only nature felt real, while all human monuments and actions seemed to be the settings and the plots of dreams"

"So many people live in the past or the future and betray the present."

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Another great report, Bearpaw.

I always enjoy your pics and hearing from Dewey.

Have a great hiking summer, and I'll look forward to reading another one soon.

HB
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Thanks for taking us and Dewey along for the ride!
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I'm glad to say my body is feeling much better now than back during this first trip of the summer. I cranked through a much tougher climb out of the Slickrock hang this past weekend than any point on this AT hike and felt strong.

I'm looking forward to a much longer trip in July in the Damascus area.

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    thanks for the thorough trip report.
    Do you know how far that hike was? It looks like something I would not mind checking out sometime.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Always glad to see one of your trip reports and pictures! Wasn't disappointed this time either! Glad you two got out and about and hope that bug's effects get completely out of your system soon!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts