Tarp
    sil-nylon rain fly
    Insulation
    bag/pad combo
    Suspension
    slapstraps
    Images

Eiderdown

I don't know if anybody beside myself has ever heard of this stuff, it is called Eiderdown.

here is a site that sells it in comforters. it is way more expensive than 900 fp down

900 fp is about $10 an oz

1 oz of eider down is about $250

http://www.plumeriabay.com/
    Happy Hanging To All

S-size up the situation
    U-undue haste makes waste
    R-remember where you are
    V-vanquish fear and panic
    I-improvise
    V-value living
    A-act like the natives
    L-live by your wits

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Eiderdown is the worlds most 'premium' down. It is harvested from the Eider duck (a large seagoing bird). I think that a lot of the price has to do with harvesting methods. You're not allowed to kill the birds to harvest it, so you have to gather it.

I'm not sure how much better/more packable/warmer it would be than 950+ white hutterite goose (which is available for under 10$ an ounce in Canada), but no small performance gain can justify the price...

I think Eiders are a protected species as they were almost hunted to extinction for their down.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by plumeriabay

About Eiderdown

Eiderdown, or eider down, comes from the Eider Duck, a large migratory sea duck. Eiderdown is exceptionally soft and has insulating properties superior to any other down. The eiderdown used in our luxury duvets and pillows comes from Iceland, in special sanctuaries where the eider ducks can safely rest and nest during their annual migration.

The female eider duck plucks down from her breast to line her nest and cover the eggs. Once the nest is abandoned, the eiderdown is gathered. The birds are not disturbed, and are actually attracted to these safe areas by the farmers who supply food and protect these birds from poachers. This relationship between wild eider duck and farmer has existed for generations and helps insure the continued existence of a beautiful rare bird and a valuable resource.

Eiderdown, when used in comforters (or duvets) and pillows, tests at approximately 700 fill power. Yet, due to the "hooks" in the eiderdown cluster it has a phenomenal density and cling and insulates at an amazing 850 to 900 fill power. If you were to hold a small amount of eiderdown in the palm of your hand you would feel no weight, just a soft growing warmth.
    Eiderdown is extremely rare, which helps account for it's costliness. It is also the softest, lightest and warmest down in the world.
    Nice, but still too expensive for my tastes.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    Brazilian
    I was unaware that you could still get the stuff. "Back in the day" it was the preferred insulation for down filled sleeping bags. Light and extremely warm. At today's price, what would a sleeping bag filled with that stuff cost? Unreasonable considering the modern alternatives.

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
    I was unaware that you could still get the stuff. "Back in the day" it was the preferred insulation for down filled sleeping bags. Light and extremely warm. At today's price, what would a sleeping bag filled with that stuff cost? Unreasonable considering the modern alternatives.
    Well, I just ordered a batch of (non-Eider) down from Feather Industries and the price list they sent me happened to include their inventory of Eider down. Listed price was $700CAD/lb.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I've got a Nunatak Ghost top quilt in eiderdown. In fact used it the last several nights. It is good stuff but def not worth the premium price point unless you really love gear.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    I got to thinking lastnight, which is sometmes a dangerous thing.

Could one mix eider duck & 900FP goose down for a compromise on price while still getting some benefits of added warmth from the eider? Or, would it be best to fill the entire quilt with eider?

I, for one, will never own a $2000 quilt. Heck, I thought cuben was expensive. But, I might be willing to put an extra $500 into it for some extra warmth.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

• + New Posts