DIY 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Karo TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

DIY hammock.. To make or not to make?

ok so ive been doing A LOT of research on DIY hammocks, been reading for about 2 months now and still havent taken the plunge into making one. So now my question is, how worth is it to make your own? i understand that DIY is mostly a hobby over a money saver and i love the idea of doing it myself, also i found all the material to be a lot cheaper. But now i am reading about WBBB clones, DIY UQ's, tarps, bugnets and its got me thinking about doing all that, so with that said what do you guys think? is all the work worth it in the end?
    Last edited by Boots13; 06-04-2012 at 01:06.

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    here is the thing with diy you can sometimes save money and sometimes you will spend more so forget it for monetary reasons. diy is all about the satisfaction you get from it.
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Do it, you know you want to.
    I'd definitely say it was worth it both in terms of satisfaction and saving a little bit of money. Although you may end up making more than you wanted to originally and spending more

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    DIY gear is sort of like a fly fisherman making his/her own flies. Tying flies isn't anything like being outdoors and fishing. It's rather tedious work. Some take pride in the fact that they have caught a fish on a fly they've made themselves, but others just want to get out there and fish.

DIY gear making and backpacking are two separated hobbies, just as tying flies and fishing are.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    I've got the WBBB, Hammock Gear stuff, but it gives me quite a bit of satisfaction to go out with my homemade gear. Not only using it, but usually showing the whole rig off people when they come over to see it.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
    is all the work worth it in the end?
    If you don't enjoy it... it is not worth it. If you enjoy it... you'll do it anyway.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    A lot of it depends on how you think about things. I have my Hennessy but also have made a dozen or so hammocks just to play. Initially I was buying whatever came along at Walmart dollar a yard bin. It let me play with a lot of shapes, lengths and ways to do ends, and the effects of ridge line length. I also accumulates a goodly supply of stuff sack material. ;-) For buggy weather having a screened hammock is a good thing. Shoulder season and winter camping they get in the way but an open DIY is a good thing. If you are inclined to play around get a good setup and then play the DIY game to see how things work. If you want a dialed in setup and and forget it then go with one of the known vendors and you cannot go wrong.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    tbd
    Suspension
    tbd
    I debated this same thing just in the last few days. Finally came to the conclusion that until I know what it is like to spend time in a rig that has been proven in the field and has features folks already like, I would only be reinventing the wheel and wasting my time. A good frame of reference is a necessity especially if you are the type who likes innovating and not just copying. If I am going spend the time to make my own hammock, it will be better, or at least better suited to me, than what someone else is already making. I won't know what that is until I try what others already feel works.

So, regardless of your inclination for tinkering, my opinion is to buy first and evaluate what you like and don't like. Then if you find it lacking for your own needs either modify it or make your own. At that point you will be more refined in your ultimate design and waste far less time and money in your efforts. If you don't want to buy, then see who might lend you one to try out for a weekend trip.

A musician can't truly compose a new song until they have listened to the songs that have come before.

BTW I decided on the Warbonnet Blackbird just last night. Can't wait to try it out.

Good luck in your decision.
    "A frog in a well does not know the great ocean" - Japanese Proverb

Hike Prep Blog - http://psrat.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I have a Blackbird for when I go camping during bug season. I sleep everynight in a DIY. The latest one was quite a bit cheaper then my first in fabric cost alone BUT you can get fabric cheaper if you shop better then I do. Far as time making it, bout 15 minutes.

And comfy!!!

But there are plenty of neat things you can do IF sewing is one of those skills you like to practice from time to time and are looking for a project. And it will be YOURS. Like RR said, If you enjoy it, you'll do it anyways.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I have always been one of those guys who sees a product and says, "Heck, I can make that!" I have made two DIY double layers, and I probably ended up saving a few bucks vs buying with the mods I wanted. They would have greatly increased the price vs. the base cost on a bought version. I have even done a little innovating in the design and I am proud of that, thus a lot of personal satisfaction comes along with it. I love to see the surprised looks I get when showing off my homemade rig as folks say "You made that?"

It didn't hurt that I found a really decent thread injector for $12.00 as far as general cost of DIY!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast