Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chefslot View Post
    I'm 90% going to try this method, and looked into the pro's and con's so just want to talk about experiences of silicon sealant types and the curing methods that each one uses.
    Many thanks
    I understand the theory of glued vs stitched.
    But there are literally thousands of sil tarps out there that do not use the glued patch theory. The sil that is in the fabric is micro-thin. If you can reproduce the same thinness in your diy sil-glue you shouldnt have issues. And at that thinness, does it really hold better?.

Plenty of diy info on the net. Just dont believe everything you read. Something of one persons blog does not make it so. Collect your data and make your own conclusions.

Good thread and good stitches hold and look fine.
    HYOH. (hike your own hike)

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Deleted 'cause I was a jerk.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 06-02-2012 at 13:48. Reason: Self policing

Hammock
    DIY headessey
    Tarp
    blackcat
    Insulation
    primaloft tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopies & huggers
    Images
    I've glued them on before sewing and would like to add that you should try working out as much silicone as you can with a roller before it dries. It makes a much nicer attachment and sews easier. I'm personally on the fence about this approach because the theory is plausible to me and when done correctly it isn't any different to sew, but I haven't had a reinforcement patch fail on me glued on or not so I don't really know if it's worth the extra step.
    Last edited by Pag; 06-02-2012 at 13:23. Reason: i need a better spell check
    --If a cow laughs hard, does milk come out its nose?

Ken cheers i hear you loud and clear, that was the link i was reading as well as someone elses uee of this method.
    Gargoyle, totaly will get it thin, it will have stitching too, the silicone is there to also help aid the sewing process and hopefully help the patch. you only find out by trying yourself, thou after reading the link that ken has kindly put up and i dont believe all trust me, i have faith in this.

Gmcttr, well i wasnt giving new ideas for you too try i just wanted to find out about different types o silicone sealant and from those who have used this method. really wasnt wanting you to try it as its different to what you follow.....

Pag, now thats how a post should be wrote, your talking from your own experience, you left the pack, tried something yourself and now have become a true budda. Thanks for your input.

What's the difference between GE Silicone I* caulk and GE Silicone II* caulk?
    GE Silicone II* caulk is what's called a "neutral cure" silicone, which means no acids are released during the curing process (as there are in GE Silicone I*). This enables GE Silicone II* to adhere to a broader range of substrates such as plastics, concrete, and metals. Also, the odor of a neutral cure silicone such as GE Silicone II* is much less offensive than an acid or acetoxy cure silicone such as GE Silicone I*.

After doing some intense research after work i found this, it seems that acetoxy is full of acid, others can be full of alkaline. GeII stuff seams to be safer.

Hopefully i'm going to do some tests soon, without reinforcement, with reinforcement and stitching, and with stitching and silicone.

Then after that as on the thread that ken posted, in which warbonnet pointed out, it may stick for a while but then after weathering may come apart i will try to do some tests on this, not to sure how, maybe a couple of spins on a low wash, or mix some water with vinegar to make some serious acid rain.

Cheers for all your posts peeps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12