GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sketchydelux View Post
    quoted for truth

lurker here too , busy trying to change my ways although. i have made a crappy asym setup out of a blanket and a convention wally world tarp and 550 cord. also a ghetto rigged tulle bugnet put together with a stapler!

was amazed of how comfy this it was spending time hanging in it!!!

luckily where it was setup was fairly remote so i didnt have to pack it up every time. my next move is to get something lighter/packable and more cold weather ready.
    with all the chit-chat on HF about high tech-ish this and that for hanging, one of the cool things about hammocking is that you can do it on the cheap.

Just as HF is running a contest (I think...?) on hammock stuff built from old patents, we ought to have a "Cheapest Setup" contest. Set up some requirements on what has to be included, maybe insist that the cost includes a documented price for sale for every item. Sounds like you're a contender...

Grizz

Centerfinger
    Hey all, I'm a non lurker because I just found these forums today. I spent last weekend in the tall pines of Arizona getting rained on. I currently have an old rope style hammock and a 5x7 ultra light tarp. I'm heading to the fabric store today to get some materials for a DIY hammock. So if there are some "must reads" please point me to them so I can create a better sleep system.

Thanks and I hope to learn lots.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Centerfinger View Post
    Hey all, I'm a non lurker because I just found these forums today. I spent last weekend in the tall pines of Arizona getting rained on. I currently have an old rope style hammock and a 5x7 ultra light tarp. I'm heading to the fabric store today to get some materials for a DIY hammock. So if there are some "must reads" please point me to them so I can create a better sleep system.

Welcome to the madness.

www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Hello All,
    I'm new to the site. I found it while searching for information on hammock camping. I've been camping on the ground all my life, but in the last couple of years I've had 3 back surgeries. I just can't get comfortable on the ground anymore. I'm really excited about trying a hammock. I am planning on making my own bridge style hammock, and I'm thinking about purchasing either an HH expedition or an ENO double to spend some nights out this fall while deer hunting. Glad to read all the posts and learn here!

Pete

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Kinger... I am in Central PA Used to be around Binghamton several years ago. We could arrange to meet at the Old Loggers Path or Loyalsock Trail or similar places if you wanted to checkout some gear and hanging styles and such. I am not an expert by any means, but I am very comfortable with the equipment that I have. That now includes a DMB with the BEEP mod which allows the Double Mode Bridge to adapt to a bottom entry. Might be a good thing for you considering your back surgery. I'd be happy to let you see it and check it out.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to HF kinger.
    Everybody's different but several members here (including myself) have had back surgery & found the hammock to be GREAT!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark NA
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'm sorry to hear, Slowhike, that you've had back trouble too, but I'm glad to hear it doesn't stop us from enjoying the outdoors. I don't know why I didn't think of hammocking earlier...just to unconventional I guess. Or too easy! I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a better way to use my tents. Missed the boat altogether!

RamblinRev, I'd be more than happy to meet up with you to take a look at your gear. I'm familiar with Milton as well, as our first "young bird pigeon race" of each year is released from Milton. Don't ask... I own a Southern Style family restaurant/tavern in Greene, NY. I specialize in BBQ smoked over a long slow hardwood fire. If you wanted to try it out sometime, I'd be happy to trade you food for advice!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kinger View Post
    I own a Southern Style family restaurant/tavern in Greene, NY. I specialize in BBQ smoked over a long slow hardwood fire. If you wanted to try it out sometime, I'd be happy to trade you food for advice!
    Wow Ramb... you lucky dog
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Wow.... I lived in Franklin and Oxford for a while. Stompin' ground revisited. Course.. no body up there ever wants to see me again... but that's ok. At the moment I got a slight problem with gas for the car... but I could work out getting up to woods for a bit to hang. Let me know when it would work for you. I have a HH Safari (big beastie) I built a DIY Bridge for my wife and I am putting the finishing touches on the reworked DMB BEEP mod. That one needs broke in in the woods at some point. Right now it thinks the back yard is the universe.

I do need to get some more scouting done for a hang along the Pine Creek Gorge (GrandCanyon of PA) that I have planned in Oct. If you wanted to combine a hike with the ground show we could kill two birds with one stone.

As far as the food goes... I've eaten dinner tonight... but I'm sure we could work something out. And the next time you are going to get down to Milton... let me know...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies

AZ hammocker

Quote Originally Posted by Centerfinger View Post

Welcome to the fourm. Great to have another AZ hammocker. I think you make three

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast