Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back pain?

Back pain?

(Crossposting this from Camping Forums...)

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready for a couple years of hiking. I'm an experienced camper but have always used tarps or tents before. I've never used a hammock, but I'm really tempted to.

The only reservation I have left is back pain. I've napped in casual hammocks before on vacation and within an hour or two my back and neck are sore. have any of you had these problems with backpacking hammocks?

Any input appreciated.

Images
    i started backpacking again in '07. the ground hurt my back so bad i went to a hammock and no problems now.
    you really can't compare these hammocks to the recreational back yard hammocks.
    im sure others will chime in and WELCOME!
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    DWHW, WBBB, DIY
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex, WBSF
    Insulation
    GLTQ, TWUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    In beds I usually do wake with some degree of back pain, but usually DO NOT when sleeping in a gathered end hammock. I'm actually considering moving one into the bedroom (still working on the wife part of that equation). Just make sure you hang that thing up correctly, and lay asymmetrically. Lots of advice on how to best make that happen here in these forums; like most folks, I found Shug Emery's videos the most helpful on that front - certainly the most entertaining.

Hammock
    Clark NX200/HH Asym Exp zipmod4
    Tarp
    Stock tarp f both
    Insulation
    HH Reflective Pad
    Suspension
    Stock/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewJacob01 View Post

Hi everyone,

I'm getting ready for a couple years of hiking. I'm an experienced camper but have always used tarps or tents before. I've never used a hammock, but I'm really tempted to.

The only reservation I have left is back pain. I've napped in casual hammocks before on vacation and within an hour or two my back and neck are sore. have any of you had these problems with backpacking hammocks?

Any input appreciated.
    I don't know where in your back you get sore. I started using a hammock as I felt like I'd been beaten by a 2x4 getting up in the morning after sleeping on the ground. I've noticed a bit of neck stuff very rarely in a hammock, but I find it goes away simply realigning. I don't use a pillow as such, but I do have a sleeping bag which gives me something. I also use something to the side of my head in case I shift into the bug netting so they can't get me through the net.

"Casual hammock" may be the issue. A good ENO Singlenest is what I started in, couldn't make the bug netting (necessary in MD and ADKs in the summer months) work to my satisfaction so I'm in a Hennessy now. Never had back issues in either, though my son can't sleep in one for knee hyperextension he's never had back issues.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    I normally bail to the back yard to sleep in my hammock as a remedy for back pain. I get basically a charley horse in my lower back depending on my sitting position at work. Even the stupid expensive pillow top and memory foam mattress in the bedroom is no help. I find that I don't sleep continuously in the hammock. I wake up several times during the night. The big difference is that I awake refreshed and with no pain or even soreness. I don't understand the difference but for me it's huge....

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images

No pain

Like many others, I wake up with some lower back pain, no matter how good the mattress. After a night in my hammock I feel much, much better.

This is really encouraging. Can anyone link me to the videos of how to sleep in one? Not sure I know what you mean by sleeping "diagonally" or "asymmetrically."

Hammock
    Danger bird
    Tarp
    Old man winter
    Insulation
    Incubator /Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies and strap
    I broke my back and slept in the for months to avoid pain so I'm thinking you should work on ur hammock sag to get more comfort. Each person has there own sag to get a good asym lay where too much or too little may be bothering you.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewJacob01 View Post

Hi everyone,

Any input appreciated.
    If You napped in the fishnet style hammock with spreader bars, You got hammock brainwashed. Avoid those hammocks, they no meant for real sleeping. If You try Brazilian cotton hammock without those bars at the ends, I'm sure You'll get right ergonomic lay in diagonal and there should not be any discomfort.

I do not have and not tried gathered end camping hammock but thinking that lay are should be similar to Brazilian style hammocks.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    By diagonal or asymetrical they mean head to one side of the center line and feet to the other. It becomes quickly and plainly self explanitory once you actually lay in a proper hammock as opposed to one of those backyard torture slings.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast