Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Will I Survive My First Hang this Weekend with this setup?

Here's the situation:

After much research, I ordered a BIAS $50 Hammock package, which includes the Camper Hammock, Whoopie Slings, Straps, and toggles. It is due to arrive tomorrow (Thursday) just in time for my overnight campout Friday to Saturday. I can't wait to try hanging! I have a cheep Harbor Freight 10x12 tarp I plan to take, an inflatable sleeping pad, and I bought some shock cord, mason line, and stakes for tie-outs. I will be camping 30 miles south of Flagstaff, AZ, with expected high of 73*F and low of 36*F. I plan to take a mummy bag and a spare square zippered end sleeping bag which I hope to slip over the hammock like a pea pod. I got some very strong clips/clamps at Harbor Freight to secure the extra sleeping bag to the under side of the hammock if the pea pod idea fails for some reason or to secure the bottom end closed. I have no idea what temps the bags are rated for, most likely just cheapo bags. I plan to wear several layers of clothes just to be sure; I can always take some off. Oh, if I have time tomorrow, I'll pick up some permethrin spray and spray on the hammock, as it has no bug net and I have not had time to make one. I don't think the bugs will be too bad at this location and temps.

So, my question is: Will I survive without the dreaded CBS (cold butt syndrome) I have read so much about on here? I've read most of Dejohah's book, The Ultimate Hang, so I think I'll be fine with site selection, suspension, etc. Not sure yet whether to hang my tarp in a diamond config or just rectangular. Not sure how long to cut the shock cord pieces to attach to my stakes as tarp tensioners, but I figure a foot should be fine. Any suggestions to make this a great first hang?

Thank you everyone for making this such an awesome community! I would not be brave enough to even venture into this otherwise.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    under inflate the pad- rigid won't be fun- a bit squishy means it fits the hammock better.

Try at home first, then you'll know what it's like!

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    If you wanna keep things cheep get some open cell foam from a hardware store or Walmart might even have some thin padding for beds. Cut it to shape and your done. Otherwise where an extra layer at night and keep the head and feet warm.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    If the pod works go for it. I suspect it will turn into a PITA and not fit. In that case I would be really tempted to lay in in the hammock with the underinflated pad on top. Unzip the mummy bag and use it like a top quilt. My reasoning is that there are two issues with bottom insulation. Compression under your bottom and shoulders and cold sidewalls. The cheap bag will be less compressible combined with the pad that will probably be enough. Tucking the unzipped or partially zipped mummy over you will fill in the sides where the bottom bag does not and give you options to pull your head in a bit.
    Do not forget a hat!
    Be careful about over dressing. Cotton will form a damp cold layer. To much clothing bunches up and creates it's own problems. I'd start with the heaviest knit long underwear you have around and then maybe a layer of polartec fleece. No cotton. If that does not do it do not contemplate winter camping. ;-) One other trick is to use a fleece jacket loose to either form a hood or cover up an arm if you find the top quilt confining. Some of us like to burrow in, some do not. YMMV. With what you have you will survive. Comfort is something we learn with practice. Just read the threads on getting bottom quilts and pads adjusted. ;-)

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    I just checked the weather in your area and I guess it gets colder than I thought down there. What you wear can go a long way in the cold. I have a rep for hanging in some of the coldest weather with a basic stock Hammock without all the expensive down quilts and clothes and modified hammock gear primarily because I cannot afford such gear. However, if you wear a base layers (wool will keep you warm even when wet) with a 2nd fleece layer that should be enough even if you are a cold sleeper. Fleece pj's at Walmart can be as little as $5.00 and with foam under you the cold should keep out pretty well. When it comes to pads, keep in mind that trapped air insulated better than open air. An inflatable air sleep pad without foam will not insulate anywhere near as well as an inflated foam pad or bulky non inflating pad. My advise to anyone new to hammock camping is to keep it simple. It is easy and pretty much inevitable to get caught up in all of the possibilities that hammock camping has to offer. That's part of the fun. Have a great trip and let us know how it went.
    Owner and guide at nowoutdoors.org
    www.meetup.com/Wilderness-Adventure-Group/
    https://www.facebook.com/NickAtNowOutdoors/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You should be fine. I'm not sure about the pod idea but the pad combined with the cheapo bag should work. Make sure to keep your head warm.

A 10 x 12 tarp is a little big for diamond fly configuration so do a regular tarp set up. Have fun!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 9
    Insulation
    Walmart CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've gotten down into the 20's with just a $7.50 walmart pad and a decent sleeping bag. No need to complicate things with the pea pod. Take the rectangle bag and if you're cold, throw it over you. The inflatable pad should keep your bottom warm.

Also, don't worry about tarp tensioners your first time out. They're generally used with silnylon tarps because they stretch. Your HF tarp probably won't.

Direction of your tarp is really dependent on the distance between trees, the size of the tarp, and how long your hammock is. I'd say just try to eyeball each config once you pick your spot and see which seems better to you.

Enjoy your first hang!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    We always advise trying all of this at home to work the bugs out. Clearly, that's not an option, here. Assuming you will be car camping, take everything you own, and plan on spending some time working on your rig. Some of that time will probably be at 4am, but hey.

If your rectangular bag is synthetic, you can be surprisingly comfy putting it fully zipped inside the hammock under you. If it's cheap synthetic, so much the better: it won't compress much. You'll still need a pad...maybe put it inside the rectangular bag. Then use the mummy, unzipped, as a top quilt.

I'm envious...I'd kill for that forecast.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    The bag as a pod has been tried before- you have to cinch up the 'neck' and it confines your diagonal lay.
    I slept this way for a couple of weeks back in '05. (indoors.)

You can probably find some old photos in the gallery- MedicineMan I believe was a fan for a while.

TH
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

Hammock
    DIY super-wide
    Tarp
    guide gear 11x11
    Insulation
    fleece quilt/ccf
    Suspension
    whoopies
    If you need a warm foam pad, go with the cheap foam walmart pad. they have carried me down into the low 20's with just my 20* bag on top. Just make sure to bring a balaclava and/or a small fleece blanket (3x3) to cover your face or stuff into gaps in your insulation or to put under any cold spots.
    I love frisbee, mangos, 7.62x39, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Atlas Shrugged, 1984, fresh grown tomatoes, oatmeal with raisins, America, potted meat, and the N.C. mountains.

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.
    -Thomas Jefferson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast