Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Belated Spring MAHHA Trip Report

I had such fun hiking with everybody on the prehike to Spring MAHHA 2012. Then on Saturday, a bunch of us took what was supposed to be a 3 or 4 mile day hike. BobMac noticed that we were, um, not where we expected to be, but we just kept going for what ended up to be a 7 or 8 mile day hike, I think. This day hike turned out to be one of the least enjoyable I've had.

We stopped for lunch, and I started feeling some discomfort, uh, down there. It was a pretty weird feeling like I had to pee or poop, but at the same time I didn't. I went to the privy, but nothing happened.

As we started our hike back to camp, my brain kept saying, "stop and pee now." Not one to ignore what my brain is telling me, I stopped for a whiz. However, this was not a yellow whiz, it was a red whiz. That got my attention.

I didn't hike more than another 100 yards when brain said time to whiz again. This time it wasn't just a red-tinted whiz, it was more like pure blood coming out. Now I was officially freaked out.

I took off for Pine Grove Furnace State Park, hiking as fast as I could; I didn't want to be stuck out on the AT with a medical issue. Back at camp, I drank a bunch of water, figuring I probably passed a kidney stone and there could be more to come. However, I have always heard passing a kidney stone is pretty painful, and I didn't have any pain to speak of, just discomfort.

The water passed through me, and when I relieved myself, there was no more blood. Part of me wanted to run to the nearest emergency room, and part of me was saying, "screw that - a little blood in the urine isn't gonna ruin my trip." I felt fear and dread, so I went and talked to BlackWolf to see what he thought. He didn't think that a one-time urine-in-the-blood thing warranted a trip to the emergency room and I agreed that it would be a waste of time. I'd just go see a doctor when I got home. Still, it was good to talk to BlackWolf 'cause his calm words made me feel a lot better.

The incident was pretty much a buzz kill, though. I wasn't feeling too social, so after the potluck dinner I just laid in my hammock while others gathered around the campfire.

Back home, I went to see a urologist and he sent me for blood work and a cat scan. Finally, the doctor had all the results and brought me in for an appointment today. He said tests were all clear, but the cat scan showed a small kidney stone I can look forward to passing in the near future. He said it was tiny, and probably wouldn't hurt much, but I could expect some more blood when it happened. He wished me luck and said to come back and see him in six months for a follow-up.

I was so glad the waiting was over. After the appointment, I took my dog Peanut for a walk in the woods near my house. As I parked the car, I saw a groundhog walk slowly out of the woods into the parking lot. He was a really old, grey-haired groundhog. You could tell he was about to die any minute. Peanut and I sat down next to him. An animal control officer happened to drive by and joined us for the groundhog's final moments. It took him about twenty minutes to give up the ghost. It seemed like the right thing to do, keeping that groundhog company. I think he appreciated our presence, and that he didn't have to die alone.

So all in one day, I experience the joy of a clean bill of health, and watched the sad departure of a groundhog from this earth. The last two weeks have been agony just sitting around waiting to find out if I'm like that groundhog, or if I have a new lease on life. I even put off several gear purchases 'cause I didn't know what condition my condition was in. The wife can expect to see a spike in credit card purchases now that I know I'll live!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think I'm gonna have to take a hike to pass this kidney stone. Seemed to work the last time - I tend to think it was the pack belt riding on the kidney that jarred the last one. I'm not looking forward to it, but I need to get this over with.

Hammock
    Gt UL, 1.7 wbbb
    Tarp
    GG, monsoon,suprfl
    Insulation
    PLUQ, jarbidge, di
    Suspension
    Whoopie wb-strap
    Images
    Having passed several stones I can tell you that they can range from hurts pretty bad to I think I am going to die. Good luck man and I hope yours is a hurts pretty bad.

Dammfast

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Groundhog was a sign!! You missed it!! Groundhog meat is good for curing kidney stones !! Hey this is MMl talking!! Would I ever lie to you!!
    And by the way:
    Q: Where do sick groundhogs go?
    A: To the hogpital
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    MazGear
    Tarp
    MazGear/SuperFly
    Insulation
    MazGear/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Glad to hear that your OK....I was wondering what happened to you after dinner...now I know. Also I totally agree with MML....weird how the universe works....Anyway glad your doing good and thanks for the heads up...maybe now if something like that happens to me I will know what it could be and not freak out so much.

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Good to hear it was a small one! They are painful.... wow not sure I would have handled it that well.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

• + New Posts