WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    My older quilt suspensions were set for a 10' hammock. I took 1' of bungee, tied it into a loop, then attached that loop onto the existing suspension with an sbiner. Worked!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HughMorris View Post
    I got a 20* incubator recently that came with no s biners; I imagine that was an error? And for a 12' hammock, the primary suspension's cord is too short like what sampson described above. Maybe I'll just lengthen it myself. I can stretch the shock cord to fit over the gathered ends, but it's a very thorough stretch and once in the hammock, i feel the squeeze.

Maybe if they asked what ridgeline length each quilt is for, they would better be able to tailor their custom quilts. It makes sense that the 'one size fits all' approach to the primary suspension shock cord will make it looser on small hammocks and tighter on big hammocks. I wish I had thought of that before ordering. Also wish that I had tried hanging it before going on a canoe trip but time was tight; we live and learn.
    12 foot hammock is a bit unusual....just add a shockcord loop to the primary to lengthen and you shoud be good to go.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

+1 on Shugs video above. It explains the suspension system well. I like the design gives you the ability to dial it in just right.
    "Over the mountains of the Moon, Down the valley of the Shadow, Ride, bodly ride", the Shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!" - Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    12 foot hammock is a bit unusual....just add a shockcord loop to the primary to lengthen and you shoud be good to go.
    A bit unusual; a lot comfortable. Excessive? Maybe. I watched plenty a video of yours and that one is no exception. I appreciate the link, and I think it's partially why I understand which is what suspension, what purpose they serve, and how they adjust. I knew that going into the field.

The primary and secondary suspension worked fine for dialing it in, save for the snug shoulders which will be relieved by said shock cord loop- great suggestion.

I'm not entirely sure where I got the idea that the HG quilts shipped with s biners, maybe I just assumed, but i still was able to loop the shockcord around my gathered ends without them.

At the end of the day, it surrounded me in downy goodness and kept me toasty through a few nights.

Edit: Was indeed supposed to ship with the biners, and they're shipping them out. Gotta love their quick response time, got back to my Sunday night email before lunch on Monday.
    Last edited by Hugh Morris; 08-31-2015 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by UrsaMajor1887 View Post
    I received my under quilt about a month ago. At first, I was not sure how the suspension worked. After a couple of times fooling around with it, I realized that I could adjust the up-and-down of the quilt with the secondary suspension. It was great to see your write up as it confirmed what my suspicions were on how to adjust the under quilt suspension.*

When I first got my dear quilt I was not sure how to slide the under quilt and down along the hammock as I had seen in some videos.

I was getting some cold air leakage around the sides, especially when sleeping on my side in the hammock. After figuring out the secondary suspension, I was able to tighten up the secondary suspension to stop the droop as well as position the UQ exactly where I wanted it. Once adjusted, it did not slide up or down or work its way off my shoulders.

I also saw the D rings on the sides of the UQ and had thought of trying to run a piece of shock cord over the ridge line to snug up the quilt, but after figuring out the suspension, I didn't need to go there.

I would recommend printing out a copy of your post and putting it in the box until oh can get it up on your website.

Thanks again for your killer customer service. My Pheonix rocks!

Since there is no explanation of the primary suspension or the secondary suspension in the letter enclosed with the shipped UQ the above suggestion to include your description in the shipment truly is necessary.
    Many of us were clueless how to attach the Incubator especially the secondary suspension.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG WP and Asymm
    Insulation
    HG TQ, UQ; MLD TQ
    Suspension
    I go Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shirley View Post
    Since there is no explanation of the primary suspension or the secondary suspension in the letter enclosed with the shipped UQ the above suggestion to include your description in the shipment truly is necessary.
    Strange... I thought both of my HG UQs came with instructions in the letter. Of course, SilvrSurfr still thinks I don't know how to set one up. (He's probably right. )
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who say there are two kinds of people, and all the others.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Shirley View Post
    Many of us were clueless how to attach the Incubator especially the secondary suspension.
    This may give some insight......
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Buckle on strap
    Shug's video is great (as always) but it doesn't speak to the HG underquilt specifically.

I got my UQ in the mail today, and there's no doubt that an illustration would make this whole thing clearer.

Having said that, I *think* I've figured this out.

The setup is not entirely dissimilar to Shug's.... Shug's prusiks from the corners are analogous to the linelocks on the corners of the HG quilt. They pull the corners of the quilt outward along the primary suspension.

I think.

I'll post some pics later

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 1.6, 10' knotty mod
    Tarp
    Eno HouseFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    It is a little confusing at first. Once hung though I got it all to work right with just a little tugging here and there until it stuck. Lost a girlfriend like that once, glad the quilt was less particular!

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast