Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    +1 on Mr. Shug's pictures and directions. I saw these and did the same to my Greylock 3. Worked like a charm. First night out the temperature hovered around a balmy 32 F and I slept like a baby with very warm backside. Mr. Jack indicated they had a video they were putting on their site to show this as well.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    TadPole Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the pics Shug! I guess My biggest misunderstanding is that both my UQ have different types of suspension . My 40deg Phoenix main suspension was so tight that I didn't think I had enough shock cord but it stretches quite a bit!:scared: You can see how much the hammock gets raised in the pic . It still makes me nervous. I usually use the secondary suspension alone and haven't had any problems. My 20deg Phoenix is totally different and must be an older system I'm guessing. It only has the one suspension and side tension adjustment for the sides I haven't had any problems staying warm but I think I will add a longer piece of shock cord to the 40deg Phoenix. I still don't see a video so I could do one if there is still interest in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doing More with less....

Dum Tacet Clamat!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TomsBackwoods?feature=mhum

I just received my Phoenix & thought something was wrong. I am hanging it on a 11' dutch hammock with 111" SRL. The Phoenix primary suspension is really tight. Too tight. Uncomfortable tight when in the hammock because the cords dig into legs/shoulder. I think this is made for 10' hammocks, not 11' ones. I'm going to try to add about 12" of 1/8 shock to the primary suspension and see what that does.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by sampson View Post
    I just received my Phoenix & thought something was wrong. I am hanging it on a 11' dutch hammock with 111" SRL. The Phoenix primary suspension is really tight. Too tight. Uncomfortable tight when in the hammock because the cords dig into legs/shoulder. I think this is made for 10' hammocks, not 11' ones. I'm going to try to add about 12" of 1/8 shock to the primary suspension and see what that does.
    Which cords are digging in? The primary runs end to end so that doesn't sound like the problem. My Phincubator is just a bit longer than your Phoenix and I have it super tight with no cutting into me.
    Brady

Its the primary that was way too tight. I just spliced 18" of shock cord to the primary. It is still tight, but much better. I think that's close enough now to do the trick.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Glad that it's better but still wondering what was cutting in? The primary runs parallel to your body and can't cut into you. Are you referring to the cords that cinch the ends closed?
    Brady

Not the ends - definitely the primary. For the sake of completeness, I brought out my WBBB XLC. The quilt is much looser on that hammock. Even with the extra 18" of shock cord, it isn't too loose though. The Blackbird seems quite a bit wider than the Dutch hammock. Both have a ridgeline of 111", so it is not immediately evident why the quilt fits so differently on the two hammocks.

With the Dutch hammock, because it is not as wide, the primary cord tends to come up over the top of foot end of the hammock. I should take a picture to illustrate. That doesn't happen with the XLC. In any case, before adding the extension, the primary shock cord was very tight and did not rise above the edge of the hammock on one side and thus cut into me through the hammock. You figure, if adding 18" and the quilt is still not loose, it was indeed very tight. I wonder if HG installed the wrong length of cord. Doesn't really matter at this point since the additional length seems to do the trick.

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    No problem. It definitely seems off. I have both those hammocks and a similar UQ, only 5" longer than yours. On my Dutch hammock the primary suspension is over my legs. There is no way for it to cut in. In fact I thought mine was too tight at first and thought of lengthening it but decided not to. Weird, glad it is working for you now!
    Brady

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl WBXLC
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Love my triangle thingy's
    Give a man enough ripstop and he'll hang himself.

I got a 20* incubator recently that came with no s biners; I imagine that was an error? And for a 12' hammock, the primary suspension's cord is too short like what sampson described above. Maybe I'll just lengthen it myself. I can stretch the shock cord to fit over the gathered ends, but it's a very thorough stretch and once in the hammock, i feel the squeeze.

Maybe if they asked what ridgeline length each quilt is for, they would better be able to tailor their custom quilts. It makes sense that the 'one size fits all' approach to the primary suspension shock cord will make it looser on small hammocks and tighter on big hammocks. I wish I had thought of that before ordering. Also wish that I had tried hanging it before going on a canoe trip but time was tight; we live and learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast