Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamah View Post
    Hey Dejoha.
    How ironic, I just got your book on Amazon and am currently reading it (great book by the way). Last night I left off on the page about the continuous ridgeline. I like this design better though, because there is no carabineer required.
    Also, what do you think about the idea of a structural ridgeline to help absorb a widowmaker strike? (a disaster which hopefully will never happen). The ridgeline would have to be secured tightly to the tree and independent of the tarp.
    I only posted here once before, and I included pictures from my almost disaster along with my thoughts on how a structural ridgeline might have helped.
    Take a look and let me know what you think.[/url]
    Hey Tom! Thanks for getting the book!

I saw your picture -- wow! I'm glad you weren't in there. Widowmakers are a serious threat and sometimes they come out of the blue. Looking up and around before pitching a hammock (or tent!) is one of the best ways to stay clear.

In the photo you sent, you were very lucky it was a tree/branch of that diameter. I don't think any small cord tied as a ridgeline would stop a crash like that. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it as a safety feature (like a crash bar for a hammock). It sound good, but I don't know if it is sound judgement or an alternative to good site selection.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by toddhunter View Post
    I would prefer to run the ridgeline up, then attach the tarp. It's easy to do using prussiks and biners, but not so clear how to create the space for the hammock suspension. Any help there? I thought about temporarily just using a biner hooked over the line at the tree, then reconnecting it to the tie out, but I think I lose the tensioning of the prussik.
    Quote Originally Posted by titanium_hiker View Post
    Thanks for the illustration dejoha, but I'm still thinking along the lines of toddhunter. If it wasn't raining in Melbourne today it would be a lot harder to stay inside and get my work done for uni! (rather than heading out to play with my tarp)
    I do this all the time by using mini carabiners and prusiks like toddhunter mentions. You can still create the "V" and give your hammock suspension some breathing room.

On my line, I've tied a 'biner to one end (the fixed end). Near the other end I've attached a prusik with another mini biner. This becomes the adjustable end.

The first thing I do is wrap the fixed end around a tree and then clip the carabiner back on the line (e.g., just like we do with webbing straps).

Next, I take the running end of the line to the other tree and wrap the prusik/adjustable binder around and clip it to the line.

Finally, I pull out my tarp, clip the fixed 'biner/end to one end of the tarp. The other tarp tie out is then clipped to the adjustable prusik/biner. I then tighten up the prusik and slide the tarp to center. A final snug on the prusik to get the ridge line taut.

No knots, but you still have the "V" and you can set the line first and the tarp last.

Does that make sense? This is how I most often set my tarp and what I illustrated in my book.

Hammock
    Diy
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Muletape straps
    Very nice explanation. Thank you!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Very nice. Great flow and confidence inspiring --that is how you want the interpreter to feel, right?

Substantive question: I have looped the ridgeline once around each of the D rings. So, when the line is tight, the rings act as prusiks, in much the way, I gather, that climbers use carabiners.

Am I missing something, abusing the plastic? Seems to hold the tarp firmly in place.

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    D,
    On the adjustable side, are you attaching the end of the RL and the end of the tarp to the same prusik? If so, doesn't the tension work in opposing directions, one for the tarp, the other for the RL? I'm also not getting it from the illustration in your article. TH

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    D,
    On the adjustable side, are you attaching the end of the RL and the end of the tarp to the same prusik? If so, doesn't the tension work in opposing directions, one for the tarp, the other for the RL? I'm also not getting it from the illustration in your article. TH
    In this example, no prusik is used. The taut-line hitch is tied on to the standing end of the rope and takes up the slack to tighten the ridge line.

I'm planning to do a video on this that I hope will help.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Here's an illustration I whipped up showing the same basic set-up but using hardware (no knots!)

Hammock
    Byers mosq trav, tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Eno Hotspot, pluq
    Suspension
    huggers, Byers
    Great illustrations, really appreciated. But, I'll need to try the hardware/prusik method to see if it works. (I was referring to the hardware approach in my last comment.) It still seems (in my mind) that tightening the RL using the prusik will loosen the tarp tension.Thanks.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great illustrations, really appreciated. But, I'll need to try the hardware/prusik method to see if it works. (I was referring to the hardware approach in my last comment.) It still seems (in my mind) that tightening the RL using the prusik will loosen the tarp tension.Thanks.
    Well, give it a try and see I do it this way all the time without a problem.

The knot version (no hardware) is fine, but in practice I prefer the hardware option "A" in my new illustration because it's faster than threading the line through the tarp tie-outs.

Hammock
    TTTM single
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    rope and straps
    At this time I have the game called waiting MacCat probably on the way but after I'll get it will look at your illustrations and experiment a little bit because I'm not so strong at knotology.
    I appreciate your hard work on visual material!
    Nice drawings wich will certainly help me to avoid mistakes on tarp rigging.
    I couple of times had hanged in piney woods in last two years in clear weather without any tarps and luckily got trough those couple nights hanging bone dry and without thud's.
    Ride fast
    Live fun

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12