Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Noob looking for DL+BugNet+Tarp<$80

Hello all, I have been lurking the forums the past week trying to absorb everything in time to try a hammock on a campout north of Phoenix, AZ on May 18th. I'm not sure I'll make it; there is so much more information than I ever dreamed! But it is something I think I'll enjoy if I can find some likeminded people to hang with in AZ. I'm from Idaho but since I moved to AZ 9 years ago, I've only been camping a handful of times, mostly because of a lack of people to go with, as my wife is not a fan. My main hobby is exploring the outdoors on an ATV but I'm looking to get more into camping.

So far, I love the WB BB and the HH Expedition Asym Zip (all included in the package is awesome) but I really have a limited budget for this hobby. I want to keep it under $80 for the hammock, tarp, bugnet, and easy suspension. The frontrunner right now is the Byer Moskito Traveler; I really think I want a built-in bugnet, but maybe you can all dissuade me of its importance. I also want double layer, to use a pad easier.

So, does anyone know of a hammock out there that is double layer AND has a bugnet? One that comes with suspension and a tarp would be even better. Is it even possible to get all of this for less than $80, without a DIY project?

Thanks for all the great info on this site!

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Greetings from MS and welcome to HF!!

This thread might be a good place to start... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8921
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    $80 each? or for the entire setup?
    if Each then yes it can be done if you shop around and buy used
    if for the entire setup ... well i think you might be out of luck unless your willing to use a Blue poly tarp and a head net

there is no real "Cheap" way.. even if you go cheap in the end you will end up spending more to do it right... so it can cost even more in the long run if you think about it

for around $120-140 you can get a nice HH that has everything your looking for and upgrade as you go
    if you keep an eye out in the For Sale section you can find a HH Expedition used for around $80-100

If your a DIY kind of person you can do it for around $100 and a few days of your time, if you can use a sewing machine it's the way to go

in any case Good luck on your search
    and welcome to the Forums
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Better be less than 6 ft for the Byer. I'm 5'10" and I don't find it very comfortable. Sometimes you can get it on sale for less than $30 - I bought two for that price.

As for tarp, your options are extremely limited at that price point. Many have tried the Guide Gear 16 x 16 and have been happy (I'm not one of them), but I'm still experimenting with it. They are $26.97 at Sportsman's Guide. In past years they sold out quickly but they are still available (probably due to quality issues).

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, Claytor Jungle, ENO
    Tarp
    Vertex &amp; Super Fly
    Insulation
    New River UQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Rings
    Welcome, let me know how the ENO net works out, thinking about getting one myself.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Wilderness Tadpole
    Insulation
    Not in Georgia...
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Have you tried the "For Sale" forum?

I got my ENO DN and Bug Net new for around $48 and $55-ish respectively. Working on a custom tarp now. Budgets can be stretched, and perhaps broken, it just takes time to get the setup you can be happy with. If you're not happy with it, just upgrade and sell it on the for sale forums...

There is a ton of advice here, much more valuable than my .02. stick around, someone is bound to pop up.

Shnick
    ...Levitate me
    - Pixies

Hammock
    ENO DN, DIY g.e. 1.9
    Tarp
    Kelty 9
    Insulation
    Bag, foam or wool
    Suspension
    Straps, Whoopies
    Welcome to the forums from MD! What Shnick said!...

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nothing DL that I know of in your price range with a bug net. Buy used or put up a post in "Want to buy".

Hammock
    Butt In A Sling
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks to this forum I realized I don't need a double layer (I'm only 5'10" & 190lbs) so I'm now considering the BIAS $50 kit. super light hammock, whoopie slings, straps, ridgeline, and toggles all for $50! I just called them and left a message to ask if there's any way they can add a bug net. I just hate things flying around my face and I'd like to have a bug net when I camp in Idaho each July. But I think I'll go that way either way just for ease of having it all come in one package.

Do you think the Knotty Mod is worth it? I'm not really clear on what a footbox is or if I should aspire to that, plus I want to keep the cost down, but if you say "It's definitely worth it!" then I may add the extra $20, since I don't have to pay extra for suspension. What about the extra $6 for an adjustable ridgeline vs, the non-adjustable one it comes with? Is that important when I'll already be using whoopie slings?

Any other all-in-one packages like this for the same price that DO have a bugnet?
    Last edited by Nojope; 05-08-2012 at 17:18. Reason: added size and weight

• + New Posts