Dream RG, Exped Ergo, Hennessy
    Tarp
    Exped Ergo Combi
    Insulation
    HG Phx, HG Incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Hooks

Unexpected advantage of Hammocks - from First Hang

I had my first hang a couple of weeks ago and loved it. I posted a small review of my Exped Ergo in this thread Here.

Anyway, I learned something on this trip that is a huge unexpected advantage of hammock camping. We camped on the along Ocmulgee River in Georgia at a fellow scout master's river tract. It is family land and he has cousins that live full time along the river. One of these families have a very cool old (he's 12) yellow lab that joined us in the day at the river. He spent the day diving for rocks and hanging out with our 30 or so scouts. Of course, he got all the scaps which ensured he did not go home at night.

I assembled with the two other hangers, and Eno DN (soon to be Eagle Scout) and a Hennessy (his dad), so they could be amused if I failed this attempt at a first hang.

All went well, except during the night I felt a rather crisp "bump" on my underside which startled me into some kind of a ranger school flashback because I lurched up and sputtered something incoherrant and probably profane. The scout in the Eno a few feet away giggled and then said, "Sir, it was the Oddie [the dog]".

The lab had been sleeping under the Scout and then moved directly under my hammock for the rest of the night. I was worried I would smash the dog when my first hang ended unceremoniously with my laying on the ground. Fortunately however everything held.

I slept pretty soundly, but Oddie woke me with a low growl that gradually increased in volume around 2 am - there were racoons rummaging through the cooking area and Oddie kept them away from us. I have tent camped with our family dog, a boxer, and she always slept in the gear cover zipped in with us. Not much help.

Also, early in the morning a couple of younger scouts walked up the trail to our area and Odie kept them at bay until we get up on our own accord. Wonderful dog!

So there you have it, as a hammock camper, we provide a perfect cover to mans' best friend. Now I need to get our boxer Saddie trained for the job.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Good story. That is exactly what my dog, Hunter, does. He does a great job of guarding our camp from invaders whether 2 or 4 legged!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    SAme here with my dog. Always try to take him hanging. Good early warning system and companionship. He's also the Only one in my family alway up to go with me. Never complains. Great dog.

S

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Great story! Another great advantage of hammocks. So, the dog can stay dry and comfortable without trashing the fabric (plus, keeping an eye and nose on alert). I love it. I know several folks bring their dogs in the hammocks with them, but I don't think I would ever risk that with my ultralight hammock fabric - eek!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Good story. That is exactly what my dog, Hunter, does. He does a great job of guarding our camp from invaders whether 2 or 4 legged!
    That's great indeed. When my buddy takes his ridgeback(s) along, it is almost scary of how protective they are. Luckily they know me ..... You have a hard time tresspassing .... and seeing wildlife up close.

Good stories and a great first hang btw TwoJumper!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Exped Multimat
    Suspension
    Webbing
    cool story

I think taking my cats camping would be a disaster waiting to happen

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Yes, this is a good story. Makes me want to get a dog to travel with me. My cat sleeps under my hammock at home every night. She really wants to get in with me, but honors my wishes. Good luck training your dog.

My dog lays down beneath my hammock, and will not stray away for anything. Perfect alarm, and for the uninformed a great reason to stay away. She just sounds bad.

Hammock
    Treedscape BigPaw
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Treedscape BigHeat
    Suspension
    Straps + Whoopies
    Back in the day my wife had a little lap dog that we took camping exactly once. It was petrified of the owls we heard into the night. Made for some entertainment on my part at least. Not much of a watchdog though. Great story. Thanks for sharing.
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Ive only taken my dog tent camping so far. Shes a 70 lb mix we got from the pound. Depending on who looks at her she could be part pit, rot, lab, or doberman. But she has no use at night as she sleeps like a rock. I woke hearing things outside the tent and she and my wife just kept snoring.
    Got her in the hammock just long enough to take a pic and she hasnt been in it since.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast