Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Ultralight insulated cuben hammock

Well, adding adjustable shroud lines to each end of my cuben hammock transformed it from uncomfortable to very, very nice, so I decided to go ahead and add an insulating layer. I also figured I'd try my hand at an ultralight hammock, since I had such a good start. Top to bottom, the components are:
    (1) Hammock bed of CT1K.18, which is about .75 oz/sq. yd.
    (2) Baffles of CT.3K.08, about .33 oz/sq. yd. and about 5 oz. of 900 fill down
    (3) Bottom layer of CT.3K.08, about .33 oz/sq. yd.

It's fastened together with 3M VHB Adhesive Transfer Tape, PC 9460 + Primer 94. The shroud lines are 200 lb. test Spectra fishing line with whoopies for individual line adjustment. There are 18 lines attached to each end of the hammock bed. Each attachment point is reinforced with a 1" long piece of 1/8" diameter carbon fiber tube.

The hammock alone weighs 15.4 oz. With Dynaglide suspension and assorted Dutch-bling (2 biners, 1 ridgeline biner, 1 ridge light), it totals 17.5 oz.

My top quilt and tree straps are now looking entirely too heavy. I may need to make new ones.

Pictures tomorrow.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    OOoohhhh, sounds dreamy. Do you need guy lines to keep it down? Seems like something that light would just float away......

See ya this weekend!
    PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    This hammock is very comfy. I got to lay in it before it got its insulating layer. Can't wait to see the pics! Ultralight without cold butt syndrome! What a dangerous combo!
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Ooooohhhhh Dave, Dave, Dave this new invention of yours sounds AWESOME, are you bringing it to Dolly Sods? I sure hope so.

The weight that you have gotten sounds great, I wonder though, how do you plan to carry it while on trail? I ask as the shear strength of .33 would not fair well for stuffing of the hammock into a pack (or what have you) and since it is all cuben I would assume that it would need to be protected from abrasion so keeping it on the outside of the pack could/would be dangerous.

What are your thoughts?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    All good questions, CB. This is a test, so I might as well push the limits. Right now I'm in the process of making some tough 1/3 oz. cuben snakeskins to protect my "little gray cloud" (working title), but they won't cover it entirely - more to keep the shroud lines from tangling. Along with a loop of bungee to give it side-stretch when I sit down, they will push the weight up to about a pound, I guess.

Yes, I plan to use this at Dolly Sods, and I expect I'll still be figuring out how to stuff and pack it. If you see snow flakes blowing along the trail, check to make sure they're cold.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Now I want to come to Dolly Sods more than ever.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Better start selling tickets WV, everyone's gonna want to try your inventions out this weekend.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Dave ... being Cuben ... isn't condensation going to be a problem?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Now I want to come to Dolly Sods more than ever.
    You and me both.

Dave I always love the gear you craft. Some real gear masterpieces. Cant wait to see some pictures and hear your test results after Sods. Have fun in the Sods and enjoy some sunshine for me.

unless I end up sneaking into the back of Cranky Bears trunk hum tempting.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Video: see, it happened

Here it is.

After a couple of nights in this hammock, I'm optimistic, but there are concerns about condensation, as Hawkeye noted. I expect to learn how to monitor and adjust my sleeping temperature better. This will be something I particularly need to do, because I sleep cold and have always enjoyed having too many covers. It's one thing to wake up and realize that you're a bit warm, but quite a different thing to wake up and feel clammy.

I learned a lot making this hammock, and part of what I learned is that if I pay attention to the stuff I learned making previous adjustable hammocks, it pays off. There are some significant improvements with this one.

It will be interesting to see how durable this hammock turns out to be. I'm gonna baby the "Little Gray Cloud." (It's gray because the top layer is "black" CT1K.18.) But, having said that, let me confess I'm tough on equipment. One reason I have great faith in my tarp is that I know what I've subjected it to. It's not the strength of the CT.3K.08 in the baffles and bottom layer I'm concerned about - it's the integrity of the bonds holding the baffles in place. We'll see.

I have high hopes for this hammock and will be using it next weekend at Dolly Sods and later this month at Linville Gorge. Stay tuned.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast